Gentlemen thieves?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
I climbed Pierce and Eisenhower on Veterans Day, leaving my car in the ‘‘new’’ Crawford Path parking lot, the one off Mt. Clinton Road. When I came down, I followed the Crawford Path to its end, and took Route 302 to Mt. Clinton Road and the lot.

On the lot’s access road, a car, with its engine revving, roared out of the lot, slowing down when its headlights (it was about 5 p.m.) hit me. Suspicious, I tried to get its license plate, but caught only some of its numbers.

Expecting the worst, I approached my car with trepidation, and was relieved to find all its windows intact. But, a sign I had placed in a rear side window was askew, and when I opened the trunk, my little cooler was upside-down, and stuff that is usually way in the back of the trunk against the seatbacks was right there by the trunk opening.

I became even more anxious when I noticed that the big cooler, in the back seat, was facing the opposite way it had been the night before, but I couldn’t be sure if I had moved it or not. Still, it sure seemed that someone had somehow gotten into my car and moved stuff around. Either that or there had been a weird earthquake.

After putting my hiking things inside and changing out of my boots, I noticed that the fuel filler door was open! I had filled the tank that morning, but I certainly hadn’t left its door ajar.

The tank still appeared to be full, however, and as of today, Sunday, I still haven’t found any of my belongings missing.

I checked the doors, and discovered some scratches at the top of the driver’s door, which it was easy to imagine could have been made by a coat hanger being forced through.

I drove up to Gorham and got a room in a motel and called Susan, who suggested a couple things that may have been stolen. I checked; all there. But after I hung up, I went to get my little scrub brush out of my duffel bag so I could clean my hands, and noticed that one of my coat hangers was sticking out of the bag’s zipper. It was bent out of shape a bit, too. That clinched it, for me. Someone had definitely been in my car, and messed my stuff up, but not taken anything and locked everything back up again. (I do not mean to suggest that my coat hanger was used to gain access to my car; I just know that when I zipped up my duffel bag that morning, I hadn’t left anything sticking out of it.)

I forgot to mention that when I was first emptying the trunk at the motel, I saw that a little reflector I had had on the rear window ledge had fallen into the trunk, which made me notice that one of the rear seats had been bent out of shape on either side, so it no longer rests squarely against the window ledge.

While driving home yesterday afternoon, I noticed that the paint on the inside part of the door by the door lock was ripped from the bottom and hanging loose, so the person was clumsy with whatever he or she used to pull up the lock. Still, it confirms for me that that was the door through which access was gained.

So whoever it was had gotten into the passenger compartment through the driver’s door, probably tried to pop the trunk with the remote release but couldn’t (because I had locked it with the key), thus had pried and bent one of the rear seats enough to release the cable lock so the seatback could be dropped, and my stuff ransacked. And it’s not as if there weren’t items in the passenger compartment that could have been taken. So what the object of the search was, I don’t know.

I stopped at the police station in Twin Mountain, and the patrolman with whom I spoke told me that seven cars had been broken into on Zealand Road. I don’t know if they were broken into relatively cleanly, as mine was, or if their windows were smashed.

How was your holiday? I hope no one here was one of the folks who had trouble on Zealand Road.

Last edited:
hmm. Parked on Zealand Road Yesterday

Parked at the end of Zealand Road yesterday and spent the night at the hut. When we returned, saw no signs of any break in although overheard two people at the hut talking about the breakins. That's about it. Will make sure we leave no valuables in our car next time around.

It almost makes you wonder whether it'd be a better idea to leave nothing at all valuable in your car, and just leave it unlocked.

The mt bike trail heads in the Augusta, GA area has had a rash of break ins the last few months. Park Rangers (Forest Service and Corp of Eng) and local law enforcement are now seen patrolling. Economy is down, crime is up.

It almost makes you wonder whether it'd be a better idea to leave nothing at all valuable in your car, and just leave it unlocked.

Did that on all of our trips to Hawai'i (as advised to do so) and never had a problem, though cars that had been locked had their windows smashed when we returned from our hikes.

At times we follow the same in the Whites, just depends on the given situation.

This was and still is my fathers philosophy noting in his truck is worth more then a broken window. same is true for me 90% of the time.

Just get a bunch of nice, big NRA stickers to adorn your car and leave a note that says "You never know if I am just around the corner"....that ought to insure your car is not touched. :D

Brian

I have no intention of shooting anyone for breaking into my vehicle.

But, that's just me.

And yes, I own guns. Several. And yes, I've had my vehicle broken into.

Still not going to shoot someone over it.

Last edited:
We returned to our Subaru Forrester on the Rocky Branch trail this Sunday to discover someone had sawed off the catalytic converter! No seriously. Very clean cuts on both ends.

We had quite a loud ride home!

Stopped at a hardware store on Rte 16 and wired the remainder up so that it didn't hit the ground.

Brian

We returned to our Subaru Forrester on the Rocky Branch trail this Sunday to discover someone had sawed off the catalytic converter! No seriously. Very clean cuts on both ends.
That's probably the most expensive item most of us have in/on their vehicles.

Leaving the doors unlocked sometimes works, but IIRC someone on this board recently had their window smashed even though the doors were unlocked and there was nothing of value in the car, visible or hidden. I guess some thieves work on assumptions, or do it just for the vandalism.

Years ago I remember parking out on Success Pond Rd. We were parked way out and our cars were not touched, but every car that was parked in the lot that was just a few miles south of us had their windows smashed and most of the radios had been ripped out.

There is a lengthy previous thread on this (maybe several). I'm convinced that the solution is cameras, unannounced. Catch these guys and put them in jail.

Can those be sold for scrap, or will driving an unusual car keep you safe?

Someone once had their battery stolen at Grafton Notch, perhaps it could be roll started from there :)

Someone had their starter stolen while shopping at Shaws in Concord NH, that was a quick heist

Someone once had their battery stolen at Grafton Notch, perhaps it could be roll started from there :)

Someone had their starter stolen while shopping at Shaws in Concord NH, that was a quick heist

If they know someone in a garage or someone not to concerned about where the item came from they could probably get good money for it. Even used online sell for quite a bit of money. (05 impreza catalytic converter was over $300 for a used one).

We had quite a loud ride home!

This same thing happened to my father's Toyota Tundra parked at Jay Pass in VT back in late September. Clean cuts, and a very loud ride home to MA. They're not cheap to replace, prices vary according to make and model. Luckily his insurance covered it and "only" had to pay the 500 dollar deductible because Tundras are on the higher end cost-wise.

Upon speaking with his mechanic, it only takes a few minutes or less with a saws-all and is pretty common. The fact that it happened to your Suby is disheartening to me b/c I drive a 2010 Forester. :(

This article describes the basics but if you google "Catalytic converter theft," you'll find many results, including ways you can protect yourself. They're valuable because of the metals used in their construction, mostly platinum but also gold, rhodium, and palladium. The thieves usually only get 50-150 bucks from a scrap yard for them, enough for a fix I guess...:mad:

Driving a car that sits lower to the ground makes it a little harder to access the CC. Trucks and SUVs are an easy target in a isolated lot, unfortunately. And I'd assume, bigger the car the bigger the CC, and more money from a scrap yard. It's a f'ed up world we live in, eh?

Last edited:
Driving a car that sits lower to the ground makes it a little harder to access the CC. Trucks and SUVs are an easy target in a isolated lot, unfortunately.

Ahh. The benefits of cars that can't go down closed roads in the winter... That item gets added to the "Which car should I buy?" thread.