5 days? Yeah right!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:It is what it is: A very impressive attempt and physical accomplishment, regardless. Believing it's disrespectful or doesn't "count" because the trail is broken is like believing Michael Phelps' Gold Medals shouldn't have been awarded because they weren't earned in the open ocean.

Agree with first sentence, but I think that the second sentence is another silly analogy, completely out of context and irrelevant here (see my post #108 above). Compare apples and apples, not apples and oranges. There have been plenty of worthy wNH4s efforts the past 6-7 years for comparison.

Even though Ryan and friends as well as many others heading across the Carters had been through it was still tough going in places. It was loose enough that I could posthole with denali shoes on if I was descending. Wish I could have been out breaking some trail but trying to go easy on the pup and get trail time in with him.

Ryan has had big days stacked up in a row. It could be this is his idea of an "easy" day to get a little more relaxed. I would definitely have been taking a "zero" day!;)

Conditions must be way too soft. Farmer, maybe switch to a night schedule? I don't know if it is too warm at night too, but worth considering. It worked on my Alaska trips! :) See you in a few hours!!!!! Keep smiling!

Conditions must be way too soft. Farmer, maybe switch to a night schedule? I don't know if it is too warm at night too, but worth considering. It worked on my Alaska trips! :) See you in a few hours!!!!! Keep smiling!

I went up Mt. Hale today using the Firewarden's Trail and snow conditions are definitely getting too soft. It will only get worse tomorrow. Your suggestion should definitely be considered to make it easier. GO FOR IT!!!:)

What's in the pack? Is there even a pack?

It may be in the blog but I can't get there.

Curious. What's the gear for something like this? Running shoes and MicroSpikes? Minimal pack with minimal spare gear? Tights and a fleece?

Assume that the SPOT emergency will cover in case of an issue (as well as a few thousand people noticing of the dot doesn't move) so no or minimal survival gear?

Can't imagine carrying all the stuff I do for a solo winter hike at that pace and duration.

No Osceola's yet Thom. Perhaps they are next! What a driven guy Ryan is while we all kick back and get lazy for New Years. Happy New Year's Eve Ryan and good luck on the trail!;)

Whoops, I misread the SPOT tracker; sorry about that. I should have enlargened the view. Still most impressive day, especially considering the warm temperatures and soft snow conditions. Same type of conditions in which I met Matts on Carrigan during his first winter attempt in March a few years ago. Does not look like it is going to be much of a freeze the next two nights, but at least some of the water might drain from the snowpack at night, which would make traveling a little better?

the plan keeps evolving as the conditions change. heading for the stuff on the Kanc that's broken out today. "IF" things freeze up this could end in the mother of all Pemi hikes. Hale,Zealand,Bonds,Twins,Galehead,Garfield,Lafayette,Lincoln,Liberty,Flume,Owls Head. Doesn't sound very fun to me!

the plan keeps evolving as the conditions change. heading for the stuff on the Kanc that's broken out today. "IF" things freeze up this could end in the mother of all Pemi hikes. Hale,Zealand,Bonds,Twins,Galehead,Garfield,Lafayette,Lincoln,Liberty,Flume,Owls Head. Doesn't sound very fun to me!

The fun comes later!
This quest is riveting and inspirational. I will never complain about being tired again! :)

I'll say! Keep it up Ryan! You are doing a phenomenal job!

Hey Ryan, Donna needs Vose Spur in winter, why don't you come help us break it out for her today too! ;)

Assuming that you survive today's adventure, I am thinking that this fun final day might be "easier" in reverse? Up Liberty, out and back to Flume, across to Lincoln and Lafayette, back to Lincoln slide and down to OH, bushwhack across north ridge and up Fran Br Tr to GRT, up and back for Gar, across to Gale, Twins, Bonds, Zeal, and down FRT from Hale? Avoids the dreaded section between Lafayette and Garfield, but not Garfield to Guyot. About 45 miles, I think. Good luck!

Conditions have to be really brutal up there. To even set up that day 5 Dr. D he needs Carrigan, Tris, Whiteface, and Pass today. That's 32 miles left for today, and it looks like he is town (Lincoln) right now after the Osceloa's and Hancocks. I am really pulling for him, but man, it must be really sloppy up there. It's 50F in Lincoln right now according to the NWS.

The show is over folks!

After experiencing less than ideal conditions ranging from rotten snow at 4000 ft to slush and puddles down low on both the Hancocks and Osceolas today and withe the forecast looking the way it is conditions are just too slow to keep me focused and motivated to continue. This is a hard decision to make because of how strong I still feel even after all the miles and elevation. I have no doubt I could go out and just slog through the soupy mess and finish but speed was my goal and conditions are just not conducive to fast moving.
I did have a lot of fun getting in 28 peaks though and want to thank everyone for all your support and kind words. But most of all the people who on the crew who had to deal with some tough trail conditions, all my dirty jokes and smelly feet.
Time for a Coors Lite!!

amazing accomplishment regardless. conditions can change so fast in winter. I remember in the movie 'forrest gump', when he was trying to do the 4000 footers in winter, he ended up in these kinds of conditions, and said 'mamma always said trying to do the 4000 footers in winter in 5 days was like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get'