5 days? Yeah right!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he considered this his personal project and deliberately did not publish details so that others wouldn't copy it, just as the first completer of the NH4k grid feels that others have mindlessly accepted that a goal rather than thinking up their own imaginative projects
I didn't realize thinking I'd like to do something in every month was so creative. Is this the person listed as completing in 1989?

I think if you were to look at the number of W48 finishers in the prior 30 year period to him accomplishing this feat vs. how many have finished in the last 30 by numbers alone it would say alot. Then lets take a look at how many have done them four times from four different directions.
The 1st time it was done was in 1960 by none other than the Underhills, then there were only about half a dozen finishers during the 1960s decade. Then the 70s boom hit, and there were more than 50+ finishers, including someone named Schweiker in 1977, and the Watermans in 1979.

Just for the fun of it : around 20 finishers of the WNE4K, and only 2 finishers of the WNEHH during the 70s :D

...just as the first completer of the NH4k grid feels that others have mindlessly accepted that a goal rather than thinking up their own imaginative projects.

But then there's the old adage "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
:D

My, hasn't this been an interesting thread?

I just hope no one is counting Mt. Washington for any lists.

Darby Field already did it as a bushwhack when it was over 10,000' tall.

All other ascents are unworthy. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I knew about Guy's feat but was unsure whether he actually bushwhacked each peak entirely four times (or even once). Anyone know?

Also, since he didn't appear to do it for "time," I didn't mention it. Anyone know what his total time was?

Wonder if anyone ever accused him of not respecting the mountains...
:rolleyes: :D ;)

I'm not sure whether he bushwhacked them all - don't think I've ever seen that specifically stated. I do believe that the time was over a number of years. The reason that those facts weren't documented is that they were probably never important to Guy. It seems that the reason that he did any of the things he did was strictly to find new ways to challenge himself.

And I'm sure that someone must have accused him of not respecting the mountains. Probably multiple times. All unjustly of course. There will always be someone to do that no matter what the case. Sad. The mountains were obviously a sacred place for Guy. Once you've read Backwoods Ethics or Wilderness Ethics there isn't much doubt about that.

There is someone out there right now tackling all of the NH4s solo in winter as bushwhacks from the four major compass directions and more, obviously not in one year. I believe that his goal is bushwhacking up every major ridge in the Whites. No GPS. No computer. No internet. Just map and compass. Very old school.
I have heard of this guy but obviously never read his postings, but bushwhacking the untrailed ridges of the Whites is an interesting project.

Note that your two comments above are not the same and perhaps not what he is doing - does he bushwhack up ridges that have trails on top such as Air Line? And many peaks don't have 4 major ridges.

And Guy Waterman often climbed faces not ridges such as the S slide on W Bond, and while he did some solo I'm not sure that was true of all of them.

I have heard of this guy but obviously never read his postings, but bushwhacking the untrailed ridges of the Whites is an interesting project.

Note that your two comments above are not the same and perhaps not what he is doing - does he bushwhack up ridges that have trails on top such as Air Line? And many peaks don't have 4 major ridges.

And Guy Waterman often climbed faces not ridges such as the S slide on W Bond, and while he did some solo I'm not sure that was true of all of them.

My understanding is that ridges are the main focus, so the four compass directions are merely sometimes coincidental, so I retract my first statement.

My understanding is that ridges are the main focus, so the four compass directions are merely sometimes coincidental, so I retract my first statement.
I don't think it's such a big secret that this person is J.R. Stockwell. You've mentioned him on the site before and a lot of people have met him either hiking or in the Mountain Wanderer... very cool guy.

-Dr. Wu

I don't think it's such a big secret that this person is J.R. Stockwell. You've mentioned him on the site before and a lot of people have met him either hiking or in the Mountain Wanderer... very cool guy.

-Dr. Wu
He seems like a very nice guy -- have met him on the trails a couple of times, always introduces himself and asks everyone's name.

On the Waterman climbs, a good book that details alot of his solo winter trips (well, unless you count the stuffed animals :)) along with Guy's life and character in general, is:

Good Morning Midnight: Life and Death in the Wild by Chip Brown
(sold at The Mountain Wanderer!)

It seems to me that this thread is drifting from it's original message...just an observation...:)

I fear that I may have started this (and you're right). Sorry. Didn't mean to detract from Farmer's accomplishment last week.

On the Waterman climbs, a good book that details alot of his solo winter trips (well, unless you count the stuffed animals :)) along with Guy's life and character in general, is:

Good Morning Midnight: Life and Death in the Wild by Chip Brown
(sold at The Mountain Wanderer!)

I thought I had read every book by and about the Watermans. I got hooked after reading "Losing the Garden" and had to go back to all the books that he and Laura wrote. Thanks for pointing this one out Sabrina. It's going to be the next on my list. (and my last sidetrack contribution to this thread)

Ill say up front, these "speed" type of hikes do nothing for me and as far as the rules and ways they are done, I find it all rather amusing and attention getting by nature. MY main point is guy's like waterman, who I met many times on the trails, hiked and accomplished incredible feats in the mountains because they loved the mountains, they could give two shits who knew about it. This guy the thread is about can hike for sure, what it boils down to is how he feels about his attempt, if he is at peace with it and can lay his head down at night and sleep well, good for him, thats all that matters in the end. This board is always full of people who complain about everything, if the complainers spent more energy climbing and less bitching they might even log enough time out there to have a valued opinion after all.

The original post was about trying to accomplish a goal. Agree with it, disagree with it, doesn't matter.
Personalizing posts ( not directed at your post, Mookie) will disappear.

Interesting posts by all - I enjoy reading all of the different perspectives. Also getlittle history lessons along the way. What I must have missed though is how he did. Did he get them all in the time frame (doesn't sound like it)? If he didn't how did he finish up?

well farmer is kind of an attention whore....

Just to clarify, I didnt mean it as an insult. Some people are out there in the public eye and thier feats are well published, others hike fanatically and thier feats go unnoticed, niether right or wrong just different.

Just to clarify, I didnt mean it as an insult. Some people are out there in the public eye and thier feats are well published, others hike fanatically and thier feats go unnoticed, niether right or wrong just different.

im confused though,
how many books are there about the watermans? that seems pretty public to me....

im confused though,
how many books are there about the watermans? that seems pretty public to me....

forget it, you either understand the point or you dont, if your new to hiking(less then 10yrs) and love the internet you wont get it no matter what i say.

forget it, you either understand the point or you dont, if your new to hiking(less then 10yrs) and love the internet you wont get it no matter what i say.

honestly,
i dont think it has anything to do with how long someone has been hiking for nor do i understand what the internet has to do with any of this.

however ryan wishes to promote his adventures is his own choice.
just gets kind of old when Guy Waterman's name gets thrown around all the time. I am just going to come out and say it, not everyone thinks of him as the "God" of the white mountains.

but yeah, lets forget it