Is There A Cure for Pig Pen Smelling Boots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
My four or five year old winter boots have started smelling like a pig pen. I let them air out all summer but the odor was still there. I read somewhere that you could get rid of the odor by putting them in the freezer. So I stuck them in a plastic sack and put them in the freezer for an extended period. My wife had me checked out for Alzheimer's but it actually worked.

However, the next time I wore them the stench was back and it's bad, I mean really bad. I think I read somewhere that the problem is that the Goretex in the boots no longer breaths. My question is, if this is true, is there anything that can be done to cure the Goretex, or is it a permanent condition?

Once the stink is in there it is hard to get out.

Gore-tex fabric lined boots are always going to have more smell than leather lined boots.

Two things that I have found that cut down on smelly boots over the years.

1. Use quality wool socks year-round. The natural properties of wool make it much less smelly than cotton. Not sure if there is any real science behind this but I notice a dramatic difference.

2. Smelly boots are a result of moisture not drying up in boots. Buy a Peet boot dryer. I bought one a long time back and it is worth every penny ($40 now). They can dry fully saturated boots overnight and they are nice and warm in the morning which is nice in the winter. I think using this device has virtually eliminated all odors from all footwear I own now. Not sure how this will work on boots that already have odor issues, but they may air them out a bit and help as the dryer constently circulates the air in them.

Alpaca socks will help keep down the odor. So will socks with silver in them. Alpaca though is a natural fiber if it makes a difference to you. Also very warm in the winter.

Just threaten to take his blanket away
oops, sorry, I misunderstood your title question

I've never tried this with hiking boots but one way I keep the odor out of my kayak hatches and cockpits during winter storage is to put a couple inches of calcium chloride (which I use on sidewalk ice) in a plastic cup along with some scraps of red cedar. Come spring I dump the water that accumulates in the cups and everything smells as fresh as a daisy.

Perhaps a collection of those small moisture absorbing packets that come with many products, including shoes, medicines etc., can serve the same purpose stored in the boots.

Thanks for the tips on the socks etc. I'll see what I can find along that line. I no doubt could have better treated those boots. One thing with winter boots is that they last longer. The soles on the all season boots I've bought tend wear out much faster. So I probably should think about better care for winter boots such as drying them out better.

I've Googled "Renewing Gore-Tex boots and have come up with numerous suggestions for renewing Gore-Tex jackets etc. but nothing about renewing boots. I did come up with the statement that the sealed seams of the Gore-Tex boots tend to wear out as you walk on them which is why they start leaking, which I found interesting, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

Has anyone ever tried completely washing boots?

I once bought some stuff at EMS or REI called "No More Stinky Feet." I sprayed it in my boots and the mildew smell went away almost immediately. I'm not sure if that's the same smell you are dealing with but I had great results.

Some of us use scented dryer sheets in and on the outside of our ski boot liners. It works to varying success depending on just how bad the stench is.

Tevas tend not to stink too bad... Just need to pick the right crampons.

My nose and my ~8 year old tevas beg to differ with that statement :D

Has anyone ever tried completely washing boots?

Isn't that what happens when I slip off the rocks crossing a swollen brook? :eek:

I think it is actually the opposite. When you go into mud,streams,etc all of natures little gifts are out there floating in the water (bacteria, fungus, etc...) so when your shoes are soaked with that "dirty" water it actually brings more stink producers into the fabric. I was told*** (I don't remember the source, so take this with a grain of salt) that if you get your boots completely soaked through with "dirty" water that your best bet is to take them home and thoroughly wash them with plain tap water to clean them out.
(again, I don't know if there any truth to this, it was just something that I was told)

One of my winter boots (thankfully, the ones that are my backup boots) smell like cat pee. I'm going to wash them (submerge them) with a solution of white vinegar and water and dry them stuffed lightly with crumpled newspaper. If that doesn't work, I'm going to wash them with the stuff they sell to clean cat pee, which I happen to have in my closet. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try the landfill.

EMS carries two products specifically for stinky boots, Sof Sole Sneaker Balls and 2Toms Stink Free Shoe/Boot Spray. There's another, more generic, product called Biozyme, or something similar. I've yet to use any of them myself.

There's a less expensive and time-tested method for removing odors, baking soda. Sprinkle liberally inside the footwear.

As for prevention, one of the previous responders mentioned washing your boots in clean water. That might help, but be sure your boots dry out quickly and completely. You can use balled up newspaper to hasten drying, just replace it with dry paper frequently. And there are products at EMS which will dry out hiking boots as well as ski boots.

You can also help prevent odors by drying your boots every time you wear them. You probably have removable footbeds. At the end of a day take them out so that they and the rest of your boot dry separately. When practical, don't wear the same pair of boots or shoes two days in a row.

-- Richie (EMS at the Mall of NH)

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Solution-Extreme-Remover-32-Ounce/dp/B0002I9OA2

I think this might be worth a try.
This is a product which is sold now in Petco stores and you can buy it on the web. It removes pet stains and odors from your rugs and it's the best product I have ever purchased. In fact I think I have tried them all and no matter how big the mess of bodily fluids, all types, it positively works. There is never a residual odor. There are lots of products that remove stains but don't do such a great job eliminating the horrific odors that only dog and cat owners can attest to.

I don't see why if it works on rugs, you couldn't apply it to your gortex boots in or out. I doubt it would hurt them, and the gortex is long gone by now. Gortex does wear off.

They have an "extreme" version of Simple Solution which I just purchased last evening, although I never had a problem with the original.
I like buying the top of the line. With your problem it might be worth the investment. It's not that expensive. What have you got to lose. The boots sound disgusting. :eek:

The product comes with a money back guarantee.

I think it is actually the opposite. When you go into mud,streams,etc all of natures little gifts are out there floating in the water (bacteria, fungus, etc...) so when your shoes are soaked with that "dirty" water it actually brings more stink producers into the fabric. I was told*** (I don't remember the source, so take this with a grain of salt) that if you get your boots completely soaked through with "dirty" water that your best bet is to take them home and thoroughly wash them with plain tap water to clean them out.
(again, I don't know if there any truth to this, it was just something that I was told)
I've not had a problem hosing out the inside and outside of my boots from time to time. I think how you dry them out is important ... slowly ... and then treat them with lots of kindness: leather conditioner/cleaner, polish and brushing to restore and protect the leather and appearance, and waterproofing. They should look like new and service you for many years.

One of my winter boots (thankfully, the ones that are my backup boots) smell like cat pee. I'm going to wash them (submerge them) with a solution of white vinegar and water and dry them stuffed lightly with crumpled newspaper. If that doesn't work, I'm going to wash them with the stuff they sell to clean cat pee, which I happen to have in my closet. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try the landfill.

Currently our winter boots are suffering from this very same fate.

As for prevention, one of the previous responders mentioned washing your boots in clean water. That might help, but be sure your boots dry out quickly and completely. You can use balled up newspaper to hasten drying, just replace it with dry paper frequently.

Great point, the newspaper trick works wonders! Even if you're camping (not backpacking) if you do the newspaper trick overnight and change out the paper a few times the boots will be nearly dry by morning. Another nice thing about the newspaper is leave a tall tail hanging out the top of the boots that way the moisture is wicked from the wet inside, to the drier outside air.

I'm also a huge fan of pulling the footbeds and putting the shoes in front of a regular old box fan, that works wonders.

Last edited:
Ed...what smells the worse, the inside or outside?
I would suspect it might be the inside.
If you concerned about using Simple Solution on the outside, you could apply some to he heel area on the inside and they see if it works. You will know in record time if this is useful. When I first started using it, I used to keep doing the smell check of the area because I was so disbelieving that it would work as well as it does.
I was going to try it on my boots for you but they don't stink at this time.
You have a pooch so it's a good product to keep on hand regardless. I first heard about it on a "vet" talk show.