Views from the Top and Bottom: Great Grand Canyon Day-Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amicus

Reaction score
Nov. 8: Kaibab Trail to Cedar Point. The Kaibab is the newer and less eroded main trail from the popular and populous South Rim of the Canyon to the Colorado River, some 6.5 miles in distance and one mile in depth below. Most of my fellow-hikers on the early Hikers Express bus from Grand Canyon Village were back-packers planning two or more day hikes to the River, either returning to the South Rim by the Bright Angel Trail or continuing on to the North Rim - a 22-mile hike which would require a 220-mile car-spot and the risk that the North Rim road would be closed by snow - a possibility from mid-October on.

My modest objective was Cedar Point Ridge, a spur to a point a few hundred yards off the Kaibab, after a descent of 1.5 miles. We had arrived in the dark the previous evening, so the view north from the Rim at the Trailhead was my first of GC since a family camping trip in '65. Great vistas always excite me but few have left me breathless, as this did. Halfway down, I reached Ooh-Aah Point, and this view north to Brahma Temple:

1093349215_dL7VH-L.jpg

This view of Kaibab Ridge from the next point to the west shows Ooh-Point Point on the right and Cedar Ridge in the middle. That's O'Neill Butte on the left:

1087233143_HrpAQ-L-1.jpg

My 3-mile roundtrip left me plenty of time to explore the several miles of the Rim Trail heading west, back to the Village. I hadn't known that the more striking buttes and pinnacles are named after gods from the world's Pantheon, as in Isis Temple:

1087233861_oAcE3-L-2.jpg

and Buddha (left) and Brahma Temples:

1087234224_UGPGC-L-1.jpg

After lunch, my wife and I followed the Rim Trail west from the Village to Maricopa Point, and I turned around at Hopi Point. We dodged some fierce little outbursts of hail and I hiked through freezing rain for the last hour, but consistently interrupted by bursts of sunlight. Here is a view north from Hopi Point:

1087237203_wiR7u-L-1.jpg

The rest of my pix from these hikes are here.

Nov. 9: Bright Angel and Plateau Point Trails; Shoshone Point. We awoke Tuesday morning to temperatures in the low teens and the clearest skies I have seen in at least a few years. I had selected the Bright Angel Trail - the South Rim's most popular for well over a century - for a 4.5 mile hike to Indian Garden, which is a remarkable oasis of green grass, a babbling creek and cottonwood trees, amidst the arid beauty of the desert landscape. From there, I would take the 1.6 mile spur to Plateau Point. On hikes like this, the views back to the trailhead often equal those looking ahead:

1087244300_tZFEr-L-1.jpg

Plateau Point looks flat from the Rim but undulated a couple of hundred vertical feet before reaching its end at a cliff that drops over 1,500 feet to the Colorado River. You are over 3,100 feet below the Rim, so there are good views up, as in this of Battleship Butte:

1087246584_dLskW-L-1.jpg

and down to the River, which can be spotted only fitfully from the Rim:

1087247268_9jF5j-L-2.jpg

We saw many elk and deer in the course of our trip and on my hike back a curious young male came within five feet of me, before bounding off in pursuit of some grass:

1087250174_VX9Tm-L-2.jpg

This view back to the north gives you a decent perspective on Indian Garden and the Plateau Point Trail:

1087251296_wrSea-L-1.jpg

This 12.5-miler would be a killer in July, when temperatures in the Inner Canyon often exceed 100F and there is hardly any shade, but I had great conditions for it and was back to our cabin in under six hours. I have been around long enough to be wary of superlatives, but I am tempted to call this the best route I have ever hiked.

The two of us then drove east to a trail you would never know about unless you had been informed, as we were by a little book my wife had acquired - Best Easy Day Hikes - Grand Canyon NP. The one-mile dirt road/trail to Shoshone Point starts at a closed gate off the main road east that is unsigned and inconspicuous. The Point protrudes needle-like out into the Canyon, east of the other popular Points, and it was a delight to have it entirely to ourselves. Yet more great views, as in this of Vishnu Temple:

1087251720_YppEe-L-1.jpg

My other pix from these hikes are here. The next morning, we devoted our few remaining hours to exploring the west end of the Rim Trail and you can see those pix here. We also explored Hoover Dam on our drive out from Las Vegas and the spectacular new Bridge that bypasses it on our drive back, and you can see those pix here.

Last edited:
Amazingly, ~~ beautiful ~~ love the Elk.

I tell everyone, "Just go!" because even your gorgeous photos can only impart some of the sense of standing in that yawning void!

We were there a month ago, with Max as our guide (he moved from here to Prescott AZ). We went down to Cedar Ridge also, and a few minutes down the Grandview but I chickened out. The rest of the week was spent exploring Sedona, where you can get away from the crowds.

Diamond Ridge, jim, Daisy and Craig,

I'm glad you liked the photos. It would be difficult not to take some good ones in such a spectacular place, and we had some favorable skies.

I tell everyone, "Just go!" because even your gorgeous photos can only impart some of the sense of standing in that yawning void!

Amen to that! "Ooh Aah Point" is arbitrarily named, as there were many spots where we felt our emotions surging at the magnificence of what we were looking at. My wife is already planning our next trip, which will be a longer one, also taking in some of those other, less-visited, SW beauty spots

Peakbagr said:
The guy with the antlers is a mule deer.

I refrained from an ID in my TR because I wasn't sure. Thanks for enlightening me!

I'm glad you liked the photos. It would be difficult not to take some good ones in such a spectacular place
I was there a few days earlier. Your pictures are nicer than most, much better than mine. Good work.

The South Kaibab Trail is just over six miles to the river, rather than nine.

The South Kaibab Trail is just over six miles to the river, rather than nine.

Thanks for picking me up on that. I may have confused that with the distance from the Bright Angel Trailhead to Bright Angel Camp or Phantom Ranch, where a couple of hikers I spoke with had stayed or would be staying.

"Ooh Aah Point" is arbitrarily named, as there were many spots where we felt our emotions surging at the magnificence of what we were looking at.
That might explain why I can't find that name on any of my maps... :)

I was thinking that it might apply to one (or more) spot where SK trail rounds the point of the ridge a little below Yaki Pt.

A spectacular place.

Doug

I was thinking that it might apply to one (or more) spot where SK trail rounds the point of the ridge a little below Yaki Pt.

A spectacular place.

Doug

One of those spots was where we had to edge past the mules that could have kicked us right out into space. :eek: Handsome beasts, and well trained. I still had to lecture Pat not to engage them in conversation. :D

Ooh Aah Point was not named in the Best Easy Day Hikes description that led me to that hike nor does it appear on the excellent Nat Geo - Trails Illustrated topo map I used. It featured prominently, however, in the description at the South Kaibab Trailhead kiosk and I saw references in other materials distributed at the Park. I find this explanation in The Rough Guide to the Grand Canyon:

Three-quarters of a mile along [the So. Kaibab Tr.], it reaches the tip of the promontory, where for the first time massive views open to the east as well as the west. The Park Service has recently taken to calling this Ooh Aah Point; it's a dramatic enough spot, but the new name was partly in order to give day-hikers the sense of having reached an important destination.

The kiosk description said something like, "there is no sign, but you'll know it when you get there." I believe they did give the distance as .75 mile (or very close to that), and it was one of their recommended day-hikes.

Last edited:
Ooh Aah Point was not named in the Easy Day Hikes description that led me to that hike nor does it appear on the excellent Nat Geo - Trails Illustrated topo map I used. It featured prominently, however, in the description at the South Kaibab Trailhead kiosk and I saw references in other materials distributed at the Park. I find this explanation in The Rough Guide to the Grand Canyon:
Three-quarters of a mile along [the So. Kaibab Tr.], it reaches the tip of the promontory, where for the first time massive views open to the east as well as the west. The Park Service has recently taken to calling this Ooh Aah Point; it's a dramatic enough spot, but the new name was partly in order to give day-hikers the sense of having reached an important destination.
The kiosk description said something like, "there is no sign, but you'll know it when you get there." I believe they did give the distance as .75 mile (or very close to that), and it was one of their recommended day-hikes.
Thanks.

I last hiked the SK trail in 1999, so maybe that predated the naming. Or perhaps I am just better at remembering "how I fell in the mud in GC" (in Burro Spring on the Tonto Tr between SK and BA trails)...

Doug

One of those spots was where we had to edge past the mules that could have kicked us right out into space. :eek: Handsome beasts, and well trained. I still had to lecture Pat not to engage them in conversation. :D

I'm not sure you totally succeeded. :D

zSouthKaibab066.jpg

A shot from Yuma Point on the Boucher Trail, today's hike!

zBoucher011.jpg

Amicus, very nice. My favorite shot is your pic from Hopi Point.....something magic about the light right after (sometimes during) a storm.

...I have been around long enough to be wary of superlatives, but I am tempted to call this the best route I have ever hiked...

You're not alone. The first time I stood on Plateau Point and slowly spun around to gawk at the 360 views, I told my wife that particular spot was the single most beautiful place I've ever been in my life. (That superlative was short-lived, because two years later I went to Yoho. But still, second place ain't bad!)

513474029_kRkhW-S.jpg

Great vistas always excite me but few have left me breathless, as this did. Halfway down, I reached Ooh-Aah Point, and this view north to Brahma Temple:

1093349215_dL7VH-L.jpg

Seeing this view, I'm sure I'd be both breathless and speechless (which doesn't happen often! :D). GC is in the top two on my "bucket list," and your pics may have moved it up to #1. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your pictures and TR! I really enjoyed them. :)

Okay, I didn't bite on the e-mail, but now that you've made that photo public...

I think you're getting to much sun! I need to remind Ma to bring you inside from time to time. :D

I'm blaming it on the chili bean and cheddar cheese omlets with tabasco sauce that I'm having for breakfast. :eek: