Tuckerman's Ravine 1952-54

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the love of mountains. On and on it goes. Isn't life good! Thanks for posting.

Very cool; thanks for posting. Tucks skiers in the 50s were really hard core. Thanks to our own cbcbd for correcting the opening aerial shot of Washington and Tucks. Someone else added boxes to some of the slides pointing out "fissure (crack) in the snowpack" and "US Army surplus "mummy" bag (down filled)," which are pretty funny.

Gotta love the long lasting quality of slide photography....The pictures are great:)

Good stuff.

Does anyone know if Warren Miller has ever highlighted the experience of skiing Tuckerman's or Mt. Washington in any of his 3,000 movies? If not, they definitely should have at some point.

Spring skiing in Tucks...it's the ginchiest! ;)

Two comments:

1) I dig those crazy hats, but they don't seem to carry them at EMS (not even at 20% off). Where can I get me some?

2) In these old photos, you can really see how far the Mt. Washington glaciers have retreated over the last 50 years.

:D

Incredible pictures! Nice find John. I have not been fortunate enough to have ever met Nick, but I was fortunate enough to meet Alexander d’Arbeloff, the other co-founder of Teradyne. Those two were brilliant engineers...

The pictures are amazing!

Good stuff.

Does anyone know if Warren Miller has ever highlighted the experience of skiing Tuckerman's or Mt. Washington in any of his 3,000 movies? If not, they definitely should have at some point.

Maybe not Warren Miller, but Jim Farnsworth made some great ski videos in Tucks and down the Sherbie in the 60s and 70s; he was one of the first to carry a video camera on a shoulder frame allowing him to film others from behind on his skis at high speed. Need to check with the New England Ski Museum at Cannon to see if they have any of those old Farnsworth fillms.

Maybe not Warren Miller, but Jim Farnsworth made some great ski videos in Tucks and down the Sherbie in the 60s and 70s; he was one of the first to carry a video camera on a shoulder frame allowing him to film others from behind on his skis at high speed. Need to check with the New England Ski Museum at Cannon to see if they have any of those old Farnsworth fillms.

Jeff Leich says that they do not, but he would be very interested in archiving them.

thanks for sharing, love the tams the men had on. Too funny to see 'jeans' being worn in the snow in an age today where we avidly would discourage it.

Great stuff! Socks and shoes were still being invented!! Did you see where they are drinking directly from flowing spring waters?? Done that! AND... the lumber that was there for the new Hut -- saw the same site on my first trip to Tucks in 72 when they had lumber there to rebuild -- after it burned down.