Gloves

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
Looking for a pair of work gloves to chop wood - espec as it gets cold. Considering leather. But which kind? Calf, pig, lamb, etc? Also, is there any real difference btwn $10 leather work gloves at Home Depot, and the $30 from catalogs?

I've had a pair of sueded deerskin gloves for years that I use for gardening, and they've held up very well. I got them at Sierra Trading Post for less than $20. I do see insulated deerskin gloves on that website right now - sounds like a good deal.

Using leather work gloves for trailwork/chopping in the White Mountains (to keep this thread backcountry related), I go through them pretty quick. I wouldn't spend too too much on them. Any leather glove will do. Carhartt and other brands make insulated leather gloves. You can also find fleece work gloves at Lowes or similar which also work well. I usually spend around $10-20 on a good pair of gloves.

Stay away from the cheap "movers" gloves such as this. http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=13040&utm_source=base&utm_medium=cse

LLbean carries a "Chopper mitt" leather work mitten with wool mitten liner. I find that the thicker gloves make my hands sore quicker (from trying to grip the axe more). Seems expensive though and I haven't tried them.

Last edited:
Using leather work gloves for trailwork/chopping in the White Mountains (to keep this thread backcountry related), I go through them pretty quick. I wouldn't spend too too much on them. Any leather glove will do.
Agreed. I have separate hiking and work gloves for when I do trail work.

LLbean carries a "Chopper mitt" leather work mitten with wool mitten liner. I find that the thicker gloves make my hands sore quicker (from trying to grip the axe more). Seems expensive though and I haven't tried them.

I'm a big fan of LLBean, but $50 for a pair of chopper mitts seems a bit high. I'm sure that the Kinco version is a lot less, even after you've gotten a separate wool liner mitt.

I've got a pair of of chopper mitts that are about 20 years old and they show no signs of quit.

That said, if you don't want mittens, as others have said, pretty much any insulated leather or cotton/leather that you can find at your locally-owned hardware store should do the trick.

Kincos are tried, tested, and have never failed me. 10 bucks at my local hardware store. No need to spend more if you're just gonna beat on them.

as children we never got to wear gloves.
callused hands are the way to go.

Agree when using an ax with a wood handle. It's actually safer on the trail - better control. I have to wear gloves when using my fiberglass handle maul.

Naah. It's just in the facinating world of 'performance hand ware', you never know what exciting innovation technology (or in this case, cows or pigs?) have brought. Beside, it's interesting to see who changed their opinions from last year.

Hard to beat Labonvilles for working gear in the woods

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=37

They cater to people who earn theri living in the woods and dont have a lot of cash to spare. A pair of mitten shells with removable liners are hard to beat and are a lot warmer for chopping wood (not much use if you are chainsawing). For chainsaw gloves I usually buy the insualted Kinco gloves, they are reasonable warm, not htat expensive and come in sizes.

I think they will be having 20% off everything in the store (except power equipment) this Friday and possibly Saturday and that usually applies to web orders.

Didn't read the whole thread sorry but I recently saw that Oakley has some cool "looking" gloves on their website. Can't comment on their quality though...never used them before.

I have dozens of pairs of work gloves where the left-hand glove is in perfect shape, and the right handed glove is completely worn out and full of holes.

It would be great if glove manufacturers would sell gloves in sets of three - a left and two rights. Or maybe there could be a social networking site for left-handed and right-handed people to exchange work gloves.