I Love Vermont!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
:D

How y'all doin...
Heading to Mt. Snow in a few weeks to do some skiing. Plan on bringing cross country skis (Nordic) with me too but don't know where to go.
Could you suggest some locations close to West Dover that would be good for cross country?
Thanks a lot.

Pray for snow!! Then we'll go from there. This weekend is looking like it might produce, however it's 50 degrees outside right now.

Positively LOVE VERMONT! :D

How about the Grout Pond area and the Catamount Trail? Both cost nothing and worth exploring.

Timber Creek looks nice.

Ditto Grout Pond (just watch out for those friends of Maddy's) & the Catamount... the ski in to Stratton Pond is nice (all this assumes snow, of course!).

I have been to Timber Creek, & its ok if you are looking for groomed & set track. Nice enough layout - gets some good views of Mt Snow across the valley. I like Timber Creek for when the natural snow is manky for whatever reason; the grooming will keep it usable.

Again assuming snow, a nice tour not too far from the Mt Snow area is Jamaica SP. Easy tour up along an old rr grade to the foot of Ball Mtn dam, or you can make it more challenging with a side trip up to Hamilton Falls.

amf

Woodford State Park

If Prospect Mountain doesn't have snow, Woodford State Park (just east of Prospect) is a little higher and can offer earlier skiing.

Good idea on Woodford. Last year there was nothing in Bennington and pouring rain. Up on Woodford there was about a foot and dumping snow!!!

The Catamount Trail and Woodford sound great! Assuming snow.

Thanks a lot!

Now here's the next question...

Any good places near these trail heads to get a pint of Harpoon' Winter Warmer or Long Trail's Hibernator?

I'm buyin'!

Now you are just getting picky! Unfortunately, to my knowledge there is nothing in the immediate vicinity to slake your thirst. To the west of Prospect / Woodford in Bennington is an OK brewpub (Madison?). To the east of Prospect / Woodford or south of the Grout Pond area is the stretch of slag along Rt 100 between Mt Snow & Wilmington. My favorite in that area is in Wilmington on Rt 100, in the first block north of Rt 9. Used to be the Maple Leaf brew pub; they don't do their own beermaking any more, and I am not sure if they are still called Maple Leaf, but they DO carry McNeills!

amf

Not sure about the Long Trail brews, but the Rattlesnake Cafe in Bennington has some nice beers on tap from Victory, and Sierra. They may even have L.T. on tap. You might want to stop by the Bennington Beverage Outlet as well, he's filling growlers. The selection changes quite a bit.

Perhaps not convenient but if you head West from Bennington (Towards Albany) for maybe 10 miles you will come upon The Man of Kent which is a sensational English Pub with all sorts of actual English beer on tap.