AMC's Trail Sign Auction has started

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NHSP could make some $$$$$ if they did that to old Monadnock signs (maybe they do?) or other hiking trail signs.

Last edited:
What an Idea!

I suppose a crafty and adventurous thief could make some good cash? I am not the only one that has thought of that, right?

Now, if signs start disappearing, don't look at me!

I suppose a crafty and adventurous thief could make some good cash? I am not the only one that has thought of that, right?

Now, if signs start disappearing, don't look at me!
It's been a concern since the sign auctions started. So far it hasn't happened that we know of.

The bids get more insane every year. Many are over $500 already. Crazy!

Charity auctions will do that. We've had restaurant gift certificates go for more than face value at silent auctions. Start with an item people are interested in, and a charity they want to support, get people revved up and competitive with a nice little bidding war...crazy stuff happens.

You'd never get near that kind of money if you were selling the stuff for profit (not to mention, weren't able to broadcast to a wide audience) - so I doubt stealing the signs would be a profitable venture.

Last edited:
Maine Appalachian Trail Club does not sell any of their old signs as they are concerned about theft and resale. I would expect the Katahdin Sign would go for big bucks if they ever changed the policy.

On occasion old trail signs show up on E-bay, I expect some came from estate auctions of trail maintainers, but they also could be signs stolen long ago that had been hanging up in someone's camp.

Last edited:
Isn't this thread against the rules?

NO posts about fund raising activities, charity or otherwise.

Don't get me wrong- I think it's a silly rule. But I'd like to see it clarified (and maybe re-written). There are some charity fund raisers (like the Northern Forest Canoe Trail Auction that is currently on-going) that I'd really like to have posted threads about over the past few years, and have not because I thought it was against the rules.

I've always wondered why the ADK doesn't do this in the Adirondacks- possibly because the signs are DEC property, and there could be some conflict of interest issues if the signs were given to the ADK for fund raising.

I bought a Mt. Success sign about ten years ago. It was reasonable then, and a wonderful gift. A year or two before that a friend and I saw a sign that had blown off its post on the southern Presis. We put it back and wrapped it with paracord to stay for safety's sake, but believe me, it would have been easy to walk away with it. It was still there a year or two later showing signs of wear where the line had been. I have wondered where that sign is now. :rolleyes:

Hmm ... no signs from discontinued Wilderness area trails? Those would be collector's items for sure!

Isn't this thread against the rules?
No, I don't believe it is. The poster isn't involved in the fundraiser and it's a well established public event. We don't allow users to sell things on VFTT but we've occasionally had posts about commercial sales that would be of interest to our users, like EMS Club days.

We don't have detailed rules written out for this; the current system has worked pretty well. If you'd like to post something about the Northern Forest Canoe Trail Auction please send a note to the moderators and we'll let you know if it's OK.