More press coverage on the ADK firetwoers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting article.

"This is postage-stamp zoning in the middle of wilderness to appease a minority viewpoint."

I wonder if he did a survey to qualify that statement as accurate? Are the people who support preservation of Fire Towers really in the minority? That's some pretty strong wording without any evidence to back it up, at least in the context of the article.

The Association for the Protection of the Adirondacks, Residents Committee to Protect the Adirondacks, Adirondack Wild and the Adirondack Council all support removal of the St. Regis and Hurricane towers. So does the Adirondack Mountain Club, which has been a strong advocate for fire towers on other peaks where the land-use plan allows them.

Allison Beals of the Adirondack Mountain Club said the APA's decision to establish historic areas inside wilderness sets a dangerous legal precedent that could lead to other amendments that chip away at wilderness preservation.

Hmm... so the ADK is against spot zoning to save the fire towers? I'm confused. Here's the ADK's official position on the Wakely Mountain Fire Tower (from the ADK's website itself):

ADK has formerly and will repeat its preference for a cleaner solution, transferring the tower and cabin with associated acreage to the adjacent Moose River Plains Wild Forest, with the balance of the primitive-zoned acreage incorporated into the Blue Ridge Wilderness.

So why is specialized zoning to allow for the preservation of the Wakely Mountain Fire Tower ok, but not for the St. Regis or the Hurricane Mountain towers?

I don't have a problem with these towers being preserved on site. It's important to remember that for many, one of the justifications for wilderness preservation is the historical aspect many Americans associate with wilderness. Much of our country's history is filled with stories of pioneer life on the frontier, and it's important for us to save at least some cultural and historical aspects of that life for the education of future generations. With fire towers in New York State specifically, they played an important historical role in the preservation of our wild lands. By preserving them, we can allow future generations the opportunity to use them to learn about our state's history, and to give them the chance, while standing in the tower admiring the view, to imagine what life must have been like for that often lonely observer living and working on the mountain. For many, climbing the mountain to see the tower is just as important as the view.

The argument that spot zoning could lead to future intrusions on forest preserve land, however, is a valid one. I think that it regulations need to be put in place that make it very, very clear that this tactic can only be used for preservation of pre-existing structures of historical importance.

And honestly- is your day really completely ruined because the mountain you climbed has a fire tower on top? The number of mountains without towers far out numbers those with them. When it comes to the issue of fire tower preservation, there is, as some would say, plenty of wilderness for those on either side of the issue.

I see both points I guess.

We'll need to keep maintaining the Hitch-up-Matildas. But what's next, the ADK Loj, the electric fence around the trash containers at the Loj? the hiker sign in kiosk at the High Peaks Visitor Center.

What about an easement to build something new? Just cut another spot out.

My personal view is that it's more about fear mongering, once they start making exceptions, they'll never stop. It's more of a politcal point, the making exceptions part, then just saving a couple of Firetowers.

Depending on conditions, may bring the kids to Hurricane in 2011

But what's next, the ADK Loj, the electric fence around the trash containers at the Loj? the hiker sign in kiosk at the High Peaks Visitor Center.

Well, none of these are on state land, so the state land zoning rules don't apply. ;)

I read the article, too. Seems like it just noisy little organizations squawking to appease their money donors. Silly. I've crossed the hitch up matildas dozens of times, but maybe I'll decide that being able to see them from the top of Colden "ruins my wilderness experience," so they should be knocked down. Just as silly...