The Hancocks in Less Than 19 Hours

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
Date of Hike: November 27-28

Peaks: North Hancock, South Hancock

Route: Hancock Notch Trail, Cedar Brook, Hancock Loop, bushwhack, Hancock Notch Trail

(Sorry - we didn't have a camera!!! - no pictures!!)

Comments: The purpose of this hike was to do the Hancocks in a unique way. I was getting tired of the usual loop and was looking to explore more of the area, especially to the east of the peaks. We had a great group and a beautiful day. Based on earlier trip reports, we knew to expect some crusty snow and ice.

The trip to the North Peak (first) was uneventful. We didn’t have any views from the outlook, but, it always seems to be in the clouds more often than not when I’m there!!! Then, we were happy along the ridge to hit the mudholes mostly frozen – a nice treat!!! Finally, we tagged South Hancock.

From there, I will be non-specific, but, we bushwhacked in the general area to the east of the main ridge. Some areas were, in general, a little thicker than I was expecting, but, we avoided the cliffs. Within a half hour I had shredded much of both of the sleeves of my old shell – but, it was for bushwhacking, so OH WELL. Maybe they can be sewn (lots of zig-zagging???) back together for the next adventure? The problem was that now my arms would be exposed to the snow/water. I still had a couple of fleeces.

Eventually, we wound up on a nice drainage with pretty good footing. I would guess we moved at ½ MPH. We all had good waterproof winter boots, and they proved to be sealed well. After a while longer, we enjoyed the solitude of the setting sun, put on our headlamps, and thought through our options. I was trying not to panic, knowing at this point what lay ahead, that my family would be alarmed….

We decided to follow the river (Sawyer) east (downstream) and occasionally south, hoping to maybe still hit the trail. Crossing the icy rocks in the dark with headlamps was a definite challenge of concentration. We did find some VERY steep rocky areas.

We knew that the eastern portion of the Hancock Notch Trail could be obscure. What was so weird was that all of a sudden we saw faint footprints in the 3-4” of snow. We knew they weren’t our footprints, but, we could not believe we actually found the trail and someone had been on it!!!! That feeling was AWESOME!!!! Whoever made those prints – a HUGE THANK-YOU out to you!!!! We were able to follow the trail BECAUSE of those footprints!!!!

We picked our way 6-7 miles back to the trailhead – it was to be a LONG night in the occasionally blustery wind at around 15F-20F. I was trying to not check my watch. It was late and I felt horrible for my family, who would be worrying about me. We do carry enough equipment to spend the night, but, I didn’t want to see dawn either. There is also no cell phone reception, not that we were counting on it.

It was definitely pretty watching the snow and stars through the headlamp, but, the happiest moment was when I saw that big “>” arrow at the hairpin turn on the Kanc!!!! A few minutes later, a car passed, turned around, and stopped – it was my brother—freaking out and searching the Kanc for me in the middle of the night.

Lessons learned: 1) stay together, 2) you’re carrying all that stuff for a reason, and 3) Be more thankful – thankful for the group, my family, and, occasionally, signs of civilization!!!

Don't worry -- that whole area between Hancock and Carrigain is good at turning hikes into near overnighters... Did you manage to hit that pond? It's on some maps and you can actually see it if you poke around to some view points from the summit of South Hancock. I know a few people that have visited it but I got distracted and went to Mt. Huntington last time I went looking for it. I assume it's still there.

-Dr. Wu

From there, I will be non-specific, but, we bushwhacked in the general area to the east of the main ridge. Some areas were, in general, a little thicker than I was expecting, but, we avoided the cliffs.
I seriously doubt anyone is gnawing at the bit to repeat your route... c'mon! Give us specifics!!

-Dr. Wu

Well..... I didn't have the GPS turned on for the daylight hours, so, I am not exactly sure where we were.... I know which stream we followed, but, it doesn't have a name and does not show up on the GPS but is on the topo. We wanted to keep this a map & compass hike :eek:

No, we didn't hit the pond!!!!

Last edited:
Some days can run a little longer than others. Well done!

When I talked to Ed early in the morning he told me of your plans. It sounded like a neat adventure. :eek:

Thanks for sharing the details.

:)

I have been in that area twice, once S from S Hanc staying W of SS peak and once N from Hanc Notch to SS Peak, the 2nd about this time of year and also did part of bushwhack in the dark - dropping part of light in brook while changing batteries

I'm disappointed you don't have a track log of the skid roads you followed :)

Saturday, we were just a few miles to the East of you over on Carrigain, and the weather was deteriorating as the day went on. Not sure what time the snow stopped. Glad you were able to make it out without having to camp out.
Great effort.

Petch

Saturday, we were just a few miles to the East of you over on Carrigain, and the weather was deteriorating as the day went on. Not sure what time the snow stopped. Petch

It was snowing lightly until about 3pm when a big squall came through the Tripyramids/WF/Pass'--it was clear blue skies by 3:15 -- but snowing lightly again when I crossed the Kanc at 7pmish.

Yes, glad they didn't have to spend the night out!

Thor (eight month old pup) and I did a clockwise loop and we hiked out with a young guy that had hiked up into the notch solo. Said he was looking for something short and easy to kill some time. I think his were the only tracks I saw out that way. Brushed off your rides but didn't know you were hanging out so late. Nice adventure I'm sure!;)

Thanks guys for the kind words... the squalls did come in, but, sometimes the roar of the wind (during the squalls) sounded like the noise of the brooks... Also, this is ONLY my perspective - I tried to keep things positive. HOWEVER, if you've ever been in a similar scenario, you know that the discussions are not particularly pretty.... the point being that we all made it out.

Last edited:
Sounds like you all really kept your heads on straight getting out of there. nice work. Glad you're all okay.

I agree, inquiring minds would like more specifics... :) Try and think of the positives; you made it back safe, you learned a few things, and you have another incredible memory to reflect back on when your 80 years old...

Reactions: arm
Tee hee! I like the title of this trip report. It actually sounds like a rather fun adventure... or maybe it will be in a few days/weeks. I like to think of these things as good training... for... something. :D

Bet you saw some cool stuff that not many others have seen!

Sue (not a big fan of 'whacking)

Agreed, I always try to chalk any adventure up to "training"!

Good job, Becca -- plenty of us have been out there on an epic that hasn't gone exactly as planned -- but we make out fine and learn a thing or two along the way. You are a grown up and know how to take care of yourself in the woods. :)

I share your sentiments about worrying folks at home, I know I've felt pretty bad when I've been late off the trail, with a dead battery or out of cell service for awhile before I can finally make that call home -- seems like November is the time of year when things in my world anyhow, tend to go longer and harder than expected or are just out of reach of what can be done before too long into the night.

But, you've now seen what's on the other side of the Hancocks, so that's a plus!

Bushwhacking in the dark is always awesome! :D

I agree about a headlamp in the snow. It is a surreal thing to watch....almost hypnotic at times. Of course you do need to watch out for those XC skiers running around with no headlamp to avoid paying the WV trail fees.....but that is a long story for another time (it's not really, but you get the idea. :D )

Brian

I love night hiking, especially in winter, when the skies are so clear. There's definatley something special about hiking under a starlit skies, and the woods take on a much different character after dark. And boy...you really do get to know your friends alot better after a long day that turns into a long night! :)

Last edited:
All my hikes that were f'd at the time are my best ones now.

Good TR and keep them coming!

Reactions: arm