Solo Hiker rescued off Madison

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I'd better sharpen my knife. I doubt that it could cut through frozen hi-tec pants.
This brings up more questions: Would a slow-wetting fabric (eg wool) pick up less water when immersed for a short period than a hi-tech polyester or nylon (possibly coated) fabric? Once iced, is one fabric easier to deal with than another?

Doug

This brings up more questions: Would a slow-wetting fabric (eg wool) pick up less water when immersed for a short period than a hi-tech polyester or nylon (possibly coated) fabric? Once iced, is one fabric easier to deal with than another?
I would say that the coated fabric would pick up little water at all while open weave would be the worst.

I have gotten frozen pants several times but maybe I wear mine looser because I've never felt unable to walk. And they are the best windblock you can imagine :) And in those temperatures I'm not sure that cutting off your pants is a good idea if you don't have spares. Perhaps DP or Natick Labs should conduct some experiments on materials and styles to avoid.

Compass? Give me a break - he knew approximately where he was and a compass would have done him absolutely no good. Maybe a high-res GPS with a detailed track log would have kept him on the trail better - my recollection is that higher up the trail is well above the brook.

I would say that the coated fabric would pick up little water at all while open weave would be the worst.
Might be interesting to test (non-destructively... :) ). Uncoated nylon or polyester (particularly moisture-wicking fabrics) would probably be worst (after cotton jeans, of course). Results for the coated fabrics would likely depend on whether the entire fiber is coated or just the outside of the fabric is coated.

I have gotten frozen pants several times but maybe I wear mine looser because I've never felt unable to walk. And they are the best windblock you can imagine :) And in those temperatures I'm not sure that cutting off your pants is a good idea if you don't have spares.
Agreed.

Perhaps DP or Natick Labs should conduct some experiments on materials and styles to avoid.
I'll wait for Natick Labs...

Compass? Give me a break - he knew approximately where he was and a compass would have done him absolutely no good. Maybe a high-res GPS with a detailed track log would have kept him on the trail better - my recollection is that higher up the trail is well above the brook.
Agreed--he should have been able to navigate from the stream bed to the trail by dead reckoning alone. He stated that he knew the trail was a short distance off to the left of the stream bed (going down) and he was looking for a good exit point when he fell in.

I think the compass mostly comes in because he commented (reported in several of the stories) that he should carry a compass as a backup to the GPS.

Doug

Last edited:
I had a balaclava freeze up around my neck once.

It was a semi-open face balaclava with a long neck gaiter made of Polartec powerstretch that I would typically wear under a helmet. On this particular winter day I was wearing it above treeline without a helmet or hood. I was humping up hill and generating a fair amount of heat. The hot moist air from my body escaped up around my coat collar and soaked the neck gaiter which then froze unbeknownst to me. When I stopped and tried to remove the balaclava I couldn’t pull it off. Once I realize the neck gaiter was frozen around my neck I pulled up my hood and waited for it to thaw out.

It was a bit disconcerting when I first realized what had happened. I did have a knife but decided against that course of action. :eek:
I don’t wear that balaclava much anymore but when I do, I’m mindful of this issue. :eek:

He started down on Valley Way (a major highway down from the hut)--why was he unable to stay on the trail by visual means?

As I recall, I've had some confusion here myself. The stream bed is quite open at this point while the trail off to the left is narrower and more obscure. In the whiteout and/or dark, a moment or two of inattention could easily send you down the wrong one.

Yeah, wasn't it last winter that the streambed was broken-out/followed rather than the regular trail?

Yes; in late March of 2010 -- after a large snowfall obscured the broken-out upper section of the Valley Way -- the upper portion of Snyder Brook (just below the hut) became an "alternate route" for about the final 0.4 miles.

As I recall, I've had some confusion here myself. The stream bed is quite open at this point while the trail off to the left is narrower and more obscure. In the whiteout and/or dark, a moment or two of inattention could easily send you down the wrong one.
OK. I have hiked the trail a number of times in winter and don't recall ever having any difficulty with staying on the trail. (All pre-GPS...)

Doug

I've followed streambeds for a bit in error. I can see how it would happen. Especially with some fresh snow on the ground, poorly marked, or in the dark. You seen an open path, you take it. Jiminy crickets, some streambeds are drier then some trails I have been on...

I've followed streambeds for a bit in error. I can see how it would happen. Especially with some fresh snow on the ground, poorly marked, or in the dark. You seen an open path, you take it. Jiminy crickets, some streambeds are drier then some trails I have been on...

This is especially true over here in the Adirondacks with herdpath peaks.