Trekking Poles: Locking vs. Shock absorbtion

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmegillon149

Reaction score
My older Lekis had great shock absorbtion, but slipped, I love the locking of my Black Diamonds, but want something with shock absorbtion.

Are there any brands/models that seem to have the best balance?

I am an avid dayhiker who often does double digit mileage in a day, I also go on a handful of backpacking trips a year.

umm.. what shock are you actually absorbing? your wrists? elbows? you hike with the poles in your hands right?

this marketing ploy never made sense to me.

umm.. what shock are you actually absorbing? your wrists? elbows? you hike with the poles in your hands right?

this marketing ploy never made sense to me.
Some people like them and some don't. I don't. They make the sense of touch through the pole very imprecise and therefore I turned them off on my poles. If you use the wrist straps properly, there is very little shock to absorb.

FWIW, Leki twist locks don't slip if you maintain them properly. There are a number of previous threads describing how. (Search on Leki + lubricate.)

Doug

I've never used shock absorbing poles either. But leaf, I think the theory is that if you make a lot of forceful "pole plants," you may eventually suffer a cumulative trauma disorder, predominantly in the wrists. A light touch with the poles pretty much eliminates the need for shock absorption, but for those who do use the poles forcefully, it really can be a benefit; it's not just BS...

Most long-time hikers have decided preferences for poles with either shock absorbers or not, and discussions about which is "better" can get heated in a hurry.

IMHO - one isn't better than the other. Simply go with the model you prefer, and the better shock models will allow you to turn it off or on.

Personally, I'm a non-shock guy, as I use the "give" in a pole as a way to telegraph whether my pole is on firm ground. But, lots of experienced hikers love the shock absorber.

So, go with whatever blows your dress up.

For me, the shock absorbing type make a difference on descents -- specifically wrists --if I'm using my poles for balancing down something steep that I'd have to jump down if I didn't have poles.

I've pretty much gotten away from poles (lost too many and too pricey to keep replacing) but I'd venture to say, that if one were religious about poles, the shock absorbing ones might be useful in preventing RSI (repetitive stress injury) on the wrists.

I had three way flip lock black diamond shock absorbing poles and the grips were really comfortable. I also have BD clip lock two piece poles that are not shock absorbing, and I can feel the difference.

Last edited:
ahha.. i see. since i find poles get in the way more than they help me.. i've quit using them awhile ago. i guess my wrists owe me a thanks.

Best of Both Worlds

I have an old (six years plus) pair of Komperdell's bought under the REI name.
These poles lock for accent, and, if you give them a twist, they unlock a small shock absorber for decent. It works for me.

The length is controlled by a internal twisting lock. Two per pole, allowing for a packing length of about 24 inches.

I don't know if anything on the market today matching this description. If you find a pair, I would consider them. I have had very good luck with them.

When I use them on decent, my knees do feel better, but this could be all in my head.

Good Luck with your search

Live Free and Hike.....Walker

I have an old (six years plus) pair of Komperdell's bought under the REI name.
These poles lock for accent, and, if you give them a twist, they unlock a small shock absorber for decent. It works for me.

The length is controlled by a internal twisting lock. Two per pole, allowing for a packing length of about 24 inches.

I don't know if anything on the market today matching this description. If you find a pair, I would consider them. I have had very good luck with them.
I have a 10+ year old pair of Leki Makalus (twist lock) that allow one to lock the shock absorber. (I used it long ago to turn the shock absorbers off.) AFAIK, all Leki shock absorbers can be locked off (but check before you buy).

BTW, the "shock absorber" is just a spring in the joint. The relative movement of the pole sections wears the paint length markings off :( .

Doug

I have a 10+ year old pair of Leki Makalus (twist lock) that allow one to lock the shock absorber. (I used it long ago to turn the shock absorbers off.) AFAIK, all Leki shock absorbers can be locked off (but check before you buy).

BTW, the "shock absorber" is just a spring in the joint. The relative movement of the pole sections wears the paint length markings off :( .

Doug

I have the same poles, with the same paint problem. The good news is that you can tell where to tighten when you start seeing clean metal.

I do not use shock mode, but these Lekis will, on occasion, unlock from locked mode, usually when you get the tip stuck and twist it free.

I do go shorter on the major ascent and longer on the major descent.

Tim

Love my Lekis! Shock absorbers are great. No problem with the twist locks.

I'm gravity challanged and on descents may hit the ground harder than most. Shock absorbers make a big difference in: my hands, wrists, triceps and shoulders. :)