Stratton Mt Vermont Winter overnight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
I am planning a winter overnight for a newbie. I thought Stratton Mt would be a good snowshoe and then camp at the pond. Where is there parking in winter? What are the road closing situations? Is Stratton-Arlington road closed in winter? The IP road/ Kendall Farm Rd? Any insight would be appreciated.

There is usually plowed parking near the Long Trail coming from the E, the road is not plowed W to Arlington nor is the IP road by the airport

Kendall Farm Road is plowed as far as the IP road, but not 100% sure about overnight parking there. It's an access point for the Catamount Ski Trail. See: http://www.catamounttrail.org/trail/sections/section5/

Also, from the CTA 8th edition guidebook:
The Stratton Pond Shelter is a popular winter overnight camping spot. Be prepared to share the shelter with other visitors.

Thanks for the help guys...this is helpfull

It just so happens that I can tell you exactly how far you could, in 2007, drive up the west side of Kelly Stand Road to a large parking area (big enough to park snowmobile trailers), from which point on it's unplowed and lovely xc skiing, easy to share the wide road with the snowmobiles and nicely packed.

It was here at around 1370'. The link doesn't quite work right ... once the Google Maps page comes up with the coordinates in the box, just click the "Search Maps" button again and it will pop to the right place.

We didn't start skiing until after lunch that day, so we only got as far as this point in two hours before choosing to turn around, and that was still a LONG way from where you park for the South Pond Trail to Stratton Pond, which is around here.