Closed WMNF Roads

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
Just a brief update as of 5:30 p.m. Friday 12/3 as we were heading to Twin:
1) The north end of Tripoli Rd is gated. Not sure about the south end but if one end is gated, the other end is probably gated.
2) The east end of Gale River Loop Rd is now gated. The west end has been gated for a while due to the bridges washed out. The east end was open on Thursday.
3) Haystack Rd is now gated. This road was open on Thursday.

The road status have not been updated on the WMNF site. Hope this doesn't foul up anyone's plans.

3" of snow on the ground in Twin Mountain this morning and more steadily falling from the sky. Winter is indeed here!

Zealand Road was open this morning, but gated this afternoon.

South end of Tripoli Road was not gated this morning. Flurries fell as we left the area around 1:30. I saw two cars heading south 93 with semi-significant snow on their roofs.

Some information on Zealand Road that I got from the AMC (emphasis mine):

Please note that, as always, the Zealand Road will be closed for the winter by the U.S. Forest Service, and no private vehicles will be allowed. Parking will again be at the large winter parking lot on the north side of Route 302. No WMNF parking pass is required to park in the lot. Logging operations along the Zealand Road will take place between 12/15/10 and 3/15/11. The Zealand Road gate will be closed but logging trucks will be going in and out and are allowed to do so 7 days a week during operations. Hikers and skiers are allowed on the Zealand Road but should know that, once snow arrives, the first half of the road will be regularly plowed and will be unfavorable for skiing. There is the option of hiking/skiing on the side of the road (second half of the road will not be regularly plowed) or on the Spruce Goose Ski Trail, which will be open the entire length. Visitors should also be aware of logging trucks on the road and take precaution when using the road. The Forest Service will be posting signs at both ends of the road for hikers, skiers and snowmobilers to warn of these hazards. In particular, skiers and hikers are asked not to linger near the intersection of the Zealand Trail and Haul Road as loaded trucks will be coming down the steep hill onto the trail. The road will reopen in spring 2011 based on weather and conditions.

One thing that makes no sense to me is that if the road is only plowed for the "first half" for logging, why would the trucks be up at the Zealand Trail?

Because that area is near the zealand trail, maybe they don't want people to count on it being plowed all the way to the zealand TH???? Also, the edges of the road, once it's plowed and sanded, are NOT really skiable.

ski it?

Did anyone here ski it yesterday or day before? On Saturday I would like to make a day trip and ski the road and the trail to the hut and then back.

Zealand Rd

Did anyone here ski it yesterday or day before? On Saturday I would like to make a day trip and ski the road and the trail to the hut and then back.

My wife just called (4:30PM) to tell me she was off the mountain. She did Hale with a friend, they wore snowshoes the whole way. She said the road is skiable and she saw quite a few people skiing it, including one of the hut workers. It is not plowed yet.