Total lunar eclipse "on" the winter solstice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Dasypodidae

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/04/AR2010120400219.html
Unfortunately, if you intend to hike a calendar winter Presidential traverse during a total lunar eclipse you will need to wait, because this eclipse occurs too early in the day. :(
I'm toying with the idea of a Winter hike in the Catskills (we get to count the whole day) that coincides with the Eclipse. I could probably summit the mountain in question in less than 2:41. Now I just need a clear sky. It would also make my 2nd W35 round and 4th C35 round overall.

Hopefully it is a clear night. State parks here on Long Island are usually open all night for people to witness astronomical events like this. They offer less light pollution.

The Fall Equinox this year had a full moon as well (no lunar eclipse though) - Harvest Moon, I think it's called, right Tom?

Too bad...the Spring Equinox for 2011 is 1 day after the March Full Moon.

And the Summer Solstice for 2011 is about a week after the June Full Moon.

Last night was a bust for Geminids; it was snowing.
Tonight looks better but holy cats it is windy and cold.

The Fall Equinox this year had a full moon as well (no lunar eclipse though) - Harvest Moon, I think it's called, right Tom?
Actually, the fall equinox and full moon were not on the same date. The equinox was 9/22, 11:09 pm, EDST; the full moon was 9/23, 5:17 am, EDST. Now, if you happened to be in Nova Scotia or points east, they would have been on the same day (the 23rd). That's the problem with most calendars, they figure all these events using universal time (GMT) so often the events don't fall on proper day for Eastern time.

Now for my shameless promotion: If you want calendar that has dates and times in agreement with what your watch says (and you live in the eastern time zone and you keep your watch set properly), and if you want a calendar that tells you "which" moon is currently floating above your head, you can get it here:
http://sites.google.com/site/edorsatum/calendar
It's free; I update it by quarters (seasons) and the new one is usually posted a month before the solstice or equinox. Available as download in PNG, PDF, and XLS.

First day of winter AND full moon!
ow-WOOoooooo!
Night hike! Night hike! :)

If you want calendar that has dates and times in agreement with what your watch says (and you live in the eastern time zone and you keep your watch set properly), and if you want a calendar that tells you "which" moon is currently floating above your head, you can get it here:
http://sites.google.com/site/edorsatum/calendar
It's free; I update it by quarters (seasons) and the new one is usually posted a month before the solstice or equinox. Available as download in PNG, PDF, and XLS.
Very nice.

One nitpick, it's "Daylight Saving Time" time (no "s" at the end of "Saving").

it's "Daylight Saving Time" time (no "s" at the end of "Saving").
Thank you, Papa. I'll fix it on the next edition.

Not that I didn't believe you, but, the ultimate authority nowadays is Google. "Saving" got 1,530,000 hits. "Savings" got 1,310,000 hits. At least I'm in good (or bad) company, including The Providence Examiner, Fox News, Long Island Press, The Colbert Report, National Geographic, U.S. Navy, timetemperature.com, daylight-savings-time.info, and Stanford University.

Language is dynamic. Common mistakes soon become legitimate alternatives. But in this case, I don't see any benefit to clarity or color by using the alternative compared to the standard, so I'll try to be a purist.