Adams 4

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayjay

Reaction score
I saw in the in the Conway Daily Sun that Adams 4 had been changed to Abigail Adams. But I just Googled that, and found nothing. Does anybody know where it can be found on the Web?

Adams 4 renamed Mount Abigail Adams. This is a long running effort (years ago I found a suggestion for such a renaming in an old issue of Appalachia) and in recent years it has been mentioned in the RMC newsletter. Given the difficulty of renaming geographic features I never thought it would be successful.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome!!

Just out of curiosty, does anyone know of any other new england peaks, or futher afield, named for a woman?

Not to take anything away from Ms. Adams, by any means, but personally I'm a little disappointed. The name "Adams 4" IMO, like the name "K2" might be better left as is.

Mt. Katherine in Wonalancet and Mt. Marcy in NY..

Tee hee!

"The mountain is named after former governor William L. Marcy, who authorized the environmental survey that explored the area including its highest peak, known at that time as Tahawus." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Marcy)

Also, bravo on Mt. Nancy in Crawford Notch! Hers is a heartbreaking story of [rant suddenly on, Mr. Hyde-style] IRRESPONSIBLE UNPREPAREDNESS FOR CURRENT CONDITIONS!!!! [Rant abruptly off.] No, really, she shouldn't have gone out like that.

I enjoyed Laura Linney in the HBO production of John Adams' life (opposite the awesome Paul Giamatti) and would support such a renaming, with one mixed feeling: if "Adams 4" had been bestowed by Rayner Edmands or Ethan Crawford (or some equal luminary), who stood before me to demand an explanation for why we had the audacity to change his work, I'd have to think for a second before responding. Not saying there isn't an argument, just that I see other sides.

Edit: I knew I had one!

Mt. Jo, at the Adirondack Loj:
"The mountain was named in 1877 by Henry Van Hovenberg, who built the original Adirondack Loj, for his fiancée Josephine Schofield, who died shortly before they were to have been married. [1]" 1. ^ Goodwin, Tony, ed., Adirondack Trails, High Peaks Region, Lake George, New York: Adirondack Mountain Club, 2004. ISBN 1-931951-05-5 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._jo

Last edited:
Oops sorry about Marcy! Couple of more up here in the North Country, Mt. Mary in the Pilot Range and Mt. Hayes in the Mahoosuc Range..

From Mohammed's link:

RMC historian Judy Hudson in her new book, “Peaks & Paths: A Century of the Randolph Mountain Club,” points out that William Gray Nowell “was identified with the ridge traversed by the Lowe’s Path…. In the early days hikers had called the crag ‘Nowell’s Peak,’ and the two little summits on it were dubbed ‘Gracie’ and ‘Fred’ after his daughter and son.

more women

NH
Weetamoo, Indian queen with six husbands
Bunnell, judge in Colebrook
Three Sisters probably not actual people
Mt. Molly and Mt. Eleanor near New Durham, not sure who they were named for

VT
Ellen was probably a fictional character not an actual person per Long Trail Place Names
Nancy Hanks, perhaps mother of Abraham
Molly Stark, wife of John who probably never went to VT

ME
Mollyocket, Indian

Also, bravo on Mt. Nancy in Crawford Notch! Hers is a heartbreaking story of [rant suddenly on, Mr. Hyde-style] IRRESPONSIBLE UNPREPAREDNESS FOR CURRENT CONDITIONS!!!! [Rant abruptly off.] No, really, she shouldn't have gone out like that.
I take it you're not a romantic.

Here's another: Larcom in the Ossipees.

I take it you're not a romantic.

Here's another: Larcom in the Ossipees.

Whattaya mean? I said "heartbreaking." I really feel for the young lass, especially getting raked over like that.

But the story I heard included several people trying in vain to dissuade her from going out, and her cultural descendants (and here was my real point) would have fined her for her lack of ten essentials and other appropriate gear (silly New Hampshire!).

What's the Larcom story (do I remember the name "Lucy" for that)?

Edit: Here's one for arguing over: Redemption Rock, for "Mary White Rowlandson." http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/central-ma/redemption-rock.html

Last edited: