Nepal trekking-Imja Tse -6,189 m (20,305 ft) Nov 12,2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What can I say that hasn't been said?

Jealous? Yea, a bit.
Floored by your pictures? Yep!
Impressed by your accomplishment? Indeed!

Wonder what you do for a living to take 25 days off to head to Nepal? Most definitely...I need one of those jobs!

Great stuff Darl - thanks for sharing!

Wow! Amazing pictures and trip. Nepal is number on my wish list, but it will be awhile before we get there. :( Thanks for sharing!

Wow, simply stunning!

One of the few times I've sat down and really took the time to enjoy looking at someone's pics of a trip like this. You did an amazing job of capturing all the aspects of a trip like this. From the scenery, to the people, to the culture and traditions to the beautiful mountains. While the mountains are what draw most of us in to taking a trip like this, it looks to me, that in the end, it's about so much more than the mountains.

As someone who has only ever visited a very few of the mountains of the Northeast I can only hope/wish/pray that someday I might have an opportunity like this!

Thank you for the beautiful photos that reminds me the trek we did, Annie and me, in October 2007.The best trip of our lives. :)
We will go back in Nepal maybe soon.

Yvon, I finally had time to look at all your beautiful photo's....we have so many of the exact same places, it was fun to see yours! Lovely shots and so many memories it brings to me,,even when I just get back! Thanks for sharing !! I can read a little french, so it's good!

Wow, simply stunning!

One of the few times I've sat down and really took the time to enjoy looking at someone's pics of a trip like this. You did an amazing job of capturing all the aspects of a trip like this. From the scenery, to the people, to the culture and traditions to the beautiful mountains. While the mountains are what draw most of us in to taking a trip like this, it looks to me, that in the end, it's about so much more than the mountains.

As someone who has only ever visited a very few of the mountains of the Northeast I can only hope/wish/pray that someday I might have an opportunity like this!

I am so glad that folks are seeing that it was much more than the Mountains this trip...the Nepal culture and people are all a huge part of this adventure!
That's why I had a hard time thinning out photo's..trust me I have many more...Glad you enjoyed!

What can I say that hasn't been said?

Jealous? Yea, a bit.
Floored by your pictures? Yep!
Impressed by your accomplishment? Indeed!

Wonder what you do for a living to take 25 days off to head to Nepal? Most definitely...I need one of those jobs!

Great stuff Darl - thanks for sharing!

Glad you enjoyed the photo's...I have worked for same small Company for 20 years as a Controller, so I get quite a few vacation days...My boss is a firm believer in travel and seeing the world so that sure helps!!

Video of landing in Lukla:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15270547@N08/5265966241/

Video from summit of Island peak...and yes I was breathing hard with Khumbu cough
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15270547@N08/5264090684/

One of those airports where the runway comes up to meet you...

I suspect the pilot's eye view would be even more impressive.

You get one chance to make the landing--it has a short (1500ft) runway at a 12% uphill gradient with no chance of a go-round. It has been ranked as the most dangerous airport in the world.

Useless factoid:
A 12% gradient is 6.8 degrees. Since a normal approach is at an angle of ~3 degrees to the runway, you have to fly uphill at ~4 degrees during the approach to this runway...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenzing-Hillary_Airport

Doug

Last edited:
At least the Lukla airstrip is paved now, Doug. :rolleyes:
Yeah, but I'm still not landing on 24 or taking off on 6... :)

Still, I'm sure it is an exciting start to the treks and climbs beyond.

Doug

EDIT: perhaps this was a bit to subtle for some--landing on runway 24 or taking off on runway 6 are certain death because they require one to fly though the mountain at the NE end of the runway.

Last edited:
When I flew in 92 it was still dirt. Actually made the landing easier, I'm told; because of increased rolling friction helping the plane stop before it hit the big wall at the uphill end of the runway.

On takeoff, the dirt was more of a challenge. As I understand it, knowledgable aircraft operators kept their tires partially deflated for takeoff. The softer tire would spread out on top of the packed dirt and actually roll better than a hard tire, which would dig into the dirt. Our inkeeper in Lukla showed us wreckage of a plane down the cliff that had mistakenly used fully inflated tires at takeoff, and failed to get enough speed.

It was actually quite a flight. My "carry on baggage" from Kathmandu to Lukla was a 2 gallon plastic jug of kerosene. Try bringing that on a domestic flight! And we had the privelege of leaving Kathmandu on the festival of Desai. At Tribhuven airport, a monk sacrificed a goat in front of each plane that was taking off that day, and then ran around the plane with the goat's body, squirting blood on the tires for good luck. We were welcomed to stand as close as we wanted and to take pictures. Fantastic experience!

TCD

I will never forget the bus ride from Kathmandu to Pokhara and Bherentanti. Crazy roads!!!
I hear they have a flight now.

Sabrina, I took a couple videos of the crazy driving...and the street scenes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15270547@N08/5277952465/in/photostream/

Very good your videos. You can also see another viewpoint in my videos.
[/URL]

Here is another view of our plane taking off, you can hear them rev the engines up and then the steep desent to take off..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15270547@N08/5278701212/in/photostream/

Video of Lukla dance party that we gave our Porters and Sherpas..it was much partying and dancing!! Then a few of us continued to a bar and did more dancing and drinking......I think I managed 2 hours of sleep :p

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15270547@N08/5269054873/in/photostream/

Sorry I'm a little late in joining the party, but just now had the opportunity to take a good look at your photos. There's little of significance that I can say that hasn't already been said about the magnificent job you did with chronicling your fabulous trip.
Very well done!

Nice.
I think I'll have to go ice my finger after pressing "next" 810 times... :)
Not only do I need to "ice" my finger, I think I might pay a visit to my orthopedist!:D