Argon gas filled insulating clothing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really have my science brain in full gear yet this morning, but wouldn't something sealed well enough to trap a a noble gas have to be impervious to water molecules?

I would never buy argon gas filled "insulated" windows, why would I ever trust clothing which could fail in so many ways. I can think of lots more crucial items to carry for the weight than canisters. Fascination with technology gone awry ... heck! it should come with its own satellite phone for rescue.

where are we going with this?

Himallayas or the North Pole or Triton?

Its been used in scuba dry suits for years because it has about 2/3 thirds the thermal conductivity (at the surface). Helium is a terrible choice because its 5.6 times thermally conductive as air.

I was going to try it in a thermarest. You can buy small argon cartridges (the size of CO2 inflators) with an injector. These injectors are normally used to preserve open bottles of wine.

I don't really have my science brain in full gear yet this morning, but wouldn't something sealed well enough to trap a a noble gas have to be impervious to water molecules?
I guess your saying it will breathe like poo? I pretty much agree, I think it really isn't suited for hiking unless you used it the same way some use a down jacket.

Gases, noble or inert being used in this manner is not new it is just new to applying it to clothing for the general public. It has failed many times do to poor application. It simply won't work with just stitching due to leaking, but as technology or materials and sealing are changing it is becoming effective it seems. I don't see it working for hiking or strenuous active at all, but for say a station observer who has to go out and make instrument readings, sure. Lift serve skiing, maybe. I have a neoprene wrap vest that is great at blocking wind and for the things mentioned but is awful for climbing much the same way.