Looking for inexpensive plastic double boots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Sale

Reaction score
Nobleboro, Maine Avatar: Even my shadow hikes!
Lowa Civetta's are a good boot, IME sells them for over $300 (last I remember), and at $30, they're a steal. I posted a link a few years ago on this and another site, and some people bought them. They said the boots were like new and excellent (but run a size small), so with the winter hiking season almost upon us once again, I thought I'd repost it for those new hikers seeking winter gear.

I do not have a set (I have Koflach's and Scarpa's), so perhaps those who did buy them will chime in with their experiences.

Happy trails!

I was considering buying these boots from a local shop out here (Pro Mountain Sports, owned by Jim Nelson, author of a local guidebook, and old workplace of Colin Haley). Tried them on and they felt great on my feet. They are light, the plastic is much more pliable than the Koflachs', and they are not huge and clunky - very good for technical climbing. Jim told me Colin used the Civettas before he got sponsored by La Sportiva - and now uses Spantiks. I actually didn't end up getting them but that was just because I had a deal on the Spantiks.
Nice boot!!

I tried ordering through the website but it timed-out waiting for the "Go to step 3" page. So... I called in and got one of the least personable, all-business phone reps ever. But... I was able to use a coupon code I found by a Google search - sh908 - $5.00 off shipping - and got a pair.

I've never used plastic boots, so I'm excited to see how these work out.

Just ordered a pair (size 11, which may be small :rolleyes:) for my boys so they can try ice climbing if they want.

If you happen to spend $100 or more there, free shipping code is sh647.

I also ordered a pair, figured for the price couldn't go that far wrong. They arrived over the weekend (while I was already out hiking).

They feel very comfortable, but I notice to inner boot is rather thin, does anyone have any experience with how warm it is or a recommendation for good inner boot replacement?

They feel very comfortable, but I notice to inner boot is rather thin, does anyone have any experience with how warm it is or a recommendation for good inner boot replacement?

There are Intuition Liners that I tried with my Koflach's and didn't like. I sold mine on ebay to some guy in Italy that was thrilled to get them, so they certainly have their fans.

I would suggest you try something like these (mine are in my son's snowboard boots now) first, between the inner and outer boot, along with better wool socks and heat packs.

FWIW: The 11's I ordered for my boys arrived, are pristine and appear "true to size".

Last edited:
My old plastic asolos are on their last legs ... I ordered a pair of elevens, and I'm hoping they'll fit. I'm sometimes an 11, sometimes 11.5. Fingers crossed here ...

My old plastic asolos are on their last legs ... I ordered a pair of elevens, and I'm hoping they'll fit. I'm sometimes an 11, sometimes 11.5. Fingers crossed here ...

I normally take a 9.5 and ordered a 10. It feels like a real size 10 to me, though kind of narrow, which for me is excellent.

Holy Effin' Crap!

Mine came today ... I don't think they've ever even been worn. They fit very well. All in, with shipping, this came to something like $38. Hard to believe ... definitely the score of the season, IMO.

As to the boots themselves -- they're a little softer than the plastic Asolos and Koflachs I've used before, and the liners are a little thinner. I expect they'll hike a little colder than the Asolos that have been my go-to boots for the past few winter seasons. That said, they're also a good deal more comfortable to walk around in.

I'm still sort of in disbelief about this.

If any of you run across a source for replacements for my failing Koflachs size 12.5 or 13, please post it here. It is snowing hard and I am sure summer is over.

Warning : 2 year old thread bump

If any one bought these and they're collecting dust, I'd be happy to take them off your hands for your cost and shipping :). At the time I bought the "11s" (which are actually mondopoint 285, which is 10.5 US). I'm giving those to my nephew and would like some spares (at that price :rolleyes:) for my wife and boys.