Offtrail in the Sierra Nevada

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfmoon

Reaction score
In September 2010 my friend Brad and I decided to go backpacking in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California. We really didn't have much of a plan for this trip, we just wanted to stay off trail and above treeline as much as possible. I had heard of the North Lake to South Lake Loop, so I called the ranger to get a permit. No dice, every thing was sold out being Labor Day. I called the station back and they told me I could start backpacking from a place called Pine Creek, whatever. Well, turns out they put Brad and I in an absolutely beautiful part of the wilderness. The hike from Pine Creek was a definite grunt, but we soon veered off trail for 8 glorious days in the high Sierra. I don't think we could have lucked into a more perfect backcountry permit.

Our route over the 8 days took us from the Pine Creek trailhead to Royce Lakes, the summits of Merriam and Royce Peaks, Puppet Lake and Pass, Desolation Lake, Alpine Col, Darwin Canyon, Evolution Basin, Leconte Canyon, Dusy Basin, Thunderbolt Peak, and out via South Lake. If you are familiar with this area you know that is one heck of a trip; long, arduous, off trail, above treeline, with some exciting scrambles mixed in. Our weather ranged from too hot to too cold and we had on night of snow. Nighttime temperatures dropped to the low teens on our coldest night. We saw the Milky Way every night except one and we only pitched the tent once, opting to sleep under the stars 7 nights.

This was definitely a trip for the ages. The scenery was outstanding and Thunderbolt Peak was enough to scare the crap out of me. The route was a good physical challenge, with every day seeming to increase in difficulty. We got a good flavor for traveling off trail in the High Sierra and Alpine Col kicked our butts with 50 pound packs. I can't wait to go back! Maybe next year!

All pictures: http://www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/sierra10

Royce Lakes

107-RoyceLakes.jpg

Royce Lakes

105-RoyceLakes.jpg

Merriam Peak

112-Merriam.jpg

Puppet Pass

123-CarolCol.jpg

Goethe Cirque

136-Goethe.jpg

Alpine Col

IMG_9411.jpg

Darwin Canyon

146-Darwin.jpg

151-Darwin.jpg

154-Darwin.jpg

Darwin Bench

156-Darwin.jpg

Lots of amazing trips taken by folks on this board, but this one gets my vote for best trip report of 2010.

So this is your idea of taking it easy after the "all the huts in a day" hike.

Okay, that does it: I'm spending more time in the Sierras next summer. Awesome photos!!

4-5 hours from my backyard. :)

Last edited: