Winter in the Whites and being prepared

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And what happens if he gets hurt 1 mile from Grey Knob/Craig Camp?.

If I were her, I'd tell him to "Chill the f*$% out." :D

Seriously, though, I'd make sure he was as warm and as comfortable as possible and then head back to Grey Knob to look for help.

Well put, Sabrina; intelligence has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not someone is in an abusive relationship.

"If I were her, I'd tell him to "Chill the f*$% out."

Repeating what Dave said a few minutes before the last post:
Please folks, back it down a few notches.

"If I were her, I'd tell him to "Chill the f*$% out."

Repeating what Dave said a few minutes before the last post:
Please folks, back it down a few notches.

Uh, that's a joke, referring to the email by the friend of Seema's friend recounted in this post by Seema, hence my use of the ":D," just to be clear that the comment was made in jest.

This'll be like that scene in The Godfather where the young couple is walking down the street, camera pans back...and there's the whole freakin family following them down the road. :D.
I bet they'd be pretty freaked out if like 30 people showed up, unannounced, and seemed to know everything about who they were, scrutinized their gear, passed unnecessary judgment etc. VFTT would up the creep factor a few notches...

Seema, what dates are they headed up? I gotta get my Freddie Kruger mask out of the closet and all lubed up!

-Dr. Wu

I bet they'd be pretty freaked out if like 30 people showed up, unannounced, and seemed to know everything about who they were, scrutinized their gear, passed unnecessary judgment etc. VFTT would up the creep factor a few notches...

Seema, what dates are they headed up? I gotta get my Freddie Kruger mask out of the closet and all lubed up!

-Dr. Wu

Now I really am worried for them ;)
Thanks everyone for all the input and great discussion. It really did help ease my worries a little to talk about it. VFTT therapy. :)

I think your friend needs to find someone who can hike with her and show her the skills needed to explore the mountains in the winter, in various conditions, but will also consider her enjoyment and safety as a first priority. Someone who has experience and the desire to have a solid hiking partner who loves the mountains like they do, to know when to push the envelope and when to go into town and have a pizza and a beer. I would gladly be that person ( you did say she was single right?). All I want for christmas is a female hiking partner. This is my last shameless post for 2010.:eek:

-Dr. Wu

Wu strikes again! Wu, you always crack me up.

It's obvious that the party-of-two should be met at the ridge-line with a printout of this thread and twenty instant best friends. That wouldn't be awkward (for them) at all! Everyone wear jeans & sweatshirts (it'll be chilly!).

Now I really am worried for them ;)
Thanks everyone for all the input and great discussion. It really did help ease my worries a little to talk about it. VFTT therapy. :)
Most likely they will be fine. Look at how many beginners hike in the Whites (with or without an experienced partner) and don't end up in the accident reports.

On the other hand, it is always possible to have a bad time or an accident. Some of the features of your description of their planned trip have appeared in too many accident reports and we are just trying to save them from being immortalized in said reports...

Doug

It's obvious that the party-of-two should be met at the ridge-line.

We'll ask Shizzy to show up the night before with a case of beer. He will have enough equipment to outfit the two - I saw his sled at Baxter. He'll keep them up most of the night playing Moe and they will simply be too tired to hike the Northern Pressies. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: arm
Just read the posts, I'm a "uncle hen". My nephew (27) has gotton the hiking bug and has hit NH 11 times in the past year. I went with him on his first hike I think there and my last one this past Oct, beautiful place. But he just told me that he's hiking Tom and Jackson early Jan. I keep telling him to carry emergency stuff because I read all your threads about being safe. He doesn't listen to me and I worry about him. He's going to do what he wants to do and thats it. I just hope and pray that everyone knows when it's time to call it quits and enjoys the views from the road sometimes.

Ah, yes . . . I forgot to update you guys.

So, I inisisted that my friend ask specific questions and also got together a bunch of my gear and even told her I would buy another pair of crampons to loan her. When the time came for the trip, literally 2 nights before the trip, her friend stopped all communication with her and then pretty much flaked out on the trip with no reason why. She ended up going hiking down South in the Grayson Highlands instead. I dragged the gear with me to drop off for her but never needed to . . . I told her that I will take her winter camping with me sometime since she was bummed. So, basically . . . much ado about nothing :)

Well, it made for an interesting conversation about winter and safety.

sli74

Let's hope she has the good sense to say "good riddance" to that fellow. Better she find out what he's really made of earlier rather than later.

(Boy, are we acting like a bunch of protective Dads or what?!)

Let's hope she has the good sense to say "good riddance" to that fellow. Better she find out what he's really made of earlier rather than later.

(Boy, are we acting like a bunch of protective Dads or what?!)

In the end she said she felt it was for the best anyway because she wouldn't have wanted to be up there in the middle of winter and have him flake out on her out in the woods. And yes, I felt the whole time like I was a hovering mom but I care about her and didn't want to see her get hurt out there, so I have come to terms with my hovering :)

Thanks everyone for your input on this since at the time it was causing me a lot of stress.

sli74