Snowshoers/XC skiers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty E

Reaction score
I plan on snowshoeing (or light tractoning) this winter a few times on the Livermore Trail from WV and Lincoln Woods..I need a reminder of which part of the trail I should be using so I won't be messing up any XC skiers or ruining their groomed trails..thanks Lefty E

You can snowshoe and even ski the Livermore trail/road up to the turnoff to the Tripyramids without a WV Nordic ski pass. You can also snowshoe and ski the Tripoli road without said pass. Once you go off either trail/road to the adjoining trails you will then need a pass. The Lincoln Woods Trail does not require a pass.

The stand rule of sharing xc trails with snowshoes is either be off the trail entirely or snowshoe in the center and do not step on the grooved channels that were groomed into the trail on each side.

To expand a little on what Mad River said about Livermore -

Without a pass you can use Livermore to access hiking trails. The Greeley Ponds Trail is "free" as is the Timber Camp Tr, the Scaur, etc.

If Livermore is busy , as it is on the weekends, snowshoeing for a distance on Livermore isn't so much fun. That's because many skiers also use the center strip on Livermore , rather than the tracks on each side. You always have to be on the watch for them coming fast around the corners.

Greeley Ponds is a good destination, as you get off Livermore relatively quickly and it's free of the crowds.

I love snowshoeing in WV!!

Last winter I was hiking the Trips and met up with the groomer in the depot parking lot. Since he was grooming one side of the trail at a time he asked that I stay on the ungroomed side of the trail until I jumped off at the Trips junction by the bridge. Just as I reached the bridge he was coming back to groom the other side. He was very appreciative that I took care in where I was snowshoes so as not to mess up his newly groomed trail.

I would echo what Gram said. Skiers do come fast down the trail, especially the skate skiers and it is hard to hear them at times. Luckily the Trips is a long day and by the time I am heading out, most skiers have called it a day.

Last edited:
I guess more specifically my question is: Can you go in that way in the winter with a dog to hike the Tripyramids?
As my English teacher would say, you can but you may not:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/winter_activities/skiing/skiing.php
Dogs are allowed on White Mountain National Forest maintained cross-country ski trails except:
•East Side Road (#87)
•Livermore Road (#53 - and the Livermore Parking Lot to FR #253)
For more information: see the Forest Supervisor's Order.

I would echo what Gram said. Skiers do come fast down the trail, especially the skate skiers and it is hard to hear them at times. Luckily the Trips is a long day and by the time I am heading out, most skiers have called it a day.

It's funny you mention that. Last winter a group of us was coming out from doing the Tri-p's. By the time we got to the ski trail it had long since gone dark (and to boot it was snowing at a real good clip.) So we all got into our own grooves and spread out over a ways. Well, I was walking with my friend Greg when all of a sudden, out of the dark a guy comes XC sking around the corner. No headlamp, barely any recognition when we said hello...just went swishing on by. Thankfully we were in the middle so even though we did not hear him we were not in his way nor him ours. My only guess is he was out doing a little commando XC skiing without having to pay the pass. :D Still, as Greg said, it was eerie the way he appeared...and disappeared...into the snowy darkness.*

Brian

* Yes this was a real person, not a ghost. :p;)