Mt Bushnell, Everett, Undine, 12-18

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Parked at Jug End Road in Sheffield/Mt Washington and hiked southbound on the AT to Mt Everett today, 4.6 miles one way, over a beautiful ridge full of scrub oaks and pitch pines and some nice views towards Monument Mtn and East Mtn and over Bushnell. Made a quick detour to Glen Brook leanto which is a spectacular setting complete with a babbling brook. I must check this out next spring, beautiful area. Made the summit by 11:40, had lunch at the viewpoint and finally ran into my first solo hiker I would see all day who came up the road from rt 41. There is a pretty stone leanto at the end of the road, that isn't on the AMC map for some reason. and just before that leanto, I actually used my microspikes for the first time ever!!! felt like the road was icy enough for about 150ft that the microspikes would be useful.

After I got back to the gated parking lot, I checked out guilder pond via the loop trail, but before i got all the way around, did a bushwack up 2203' Mt Undine (which apparently is a synonym for a water goddess). came up from guilder lake to avoid what looks like a very steep 200ish' climb from the AT if I was to hike it from the leanto area... This approach would have me swimming in Mtn Laurel, not as bad as mt Tobias/Roundtop in Willow, NY but with the snow, it was fairly good swimming and kept wondering what am I doing here. I found what I thought was a small summit cap with no obvious manmade artififacts though I did come across a blue mylar balloon in the middle of the mtn laurels... So I took a shallow right turn and headed a bit more east to meet the AT below the steep ledges... Hit the AT past the leantos and continued on my way back.

Didn't see anybody on my trip but there was another subaru in the lot and they looked to be out for a couple days and were headed north towards Rt 7 on the AT.

Pretty nice day, the sun was out finally and it was relatively warm as it made it up to about freezing in the valleys.. Pretty views from the ridge and a scenic trail. Enjoy Everett, my second time there... Saw some black squirrels too...

http://picasaweb.google.com/cycleslugyahoo/Everett_20101218

Maybe 3" of snow with patches of ice below on the wet sections. No snowshoes were carried or needed. Microspikes are not needed but useful, at least for the road section between the stone leanto and the summit...

Jay