Multitool question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldmanwinter

Reaction score
Deerfield, NH Avatar: Attempt on Nubble 11/17/07
This past week while hiking with microspikes I had one of the links open up enough to come loose and detach itself from the little spike. I was able to re-attach the link but it came off a couple of more times during the hike. I didn't have a tool strong enough to perform a field repair and close the link but was able to fix it easily with pliers at home. Attached is a picture of the link (after the home repair) that opened up during the hike. My question is, does anyone have suggestions for a multitool with pliers rugged enough to close that link. Of course the lighter the better.

Thanks,

Many of the smaller multitools from companies like Leatherman and Gerber have pliers.

Personally, I like Leatherman's Micra, which doesn't have pliars but scissors. If I needed pliars, I'd carry a small pair along with the Micra. The larger Leatherman are HEAVY with more tools than needed for emergencies.

YMMV.

I have 2 pairs of the small Gerber multitools and Santa is bringing the Leatherman MIcra. I have the ones with pliers and move them from pack to pack. It's my feeling that the pliers are more useful than scissors for equipment repair and a necessity hiking with a dog that has a fondness for porcupines.
The small Gerbers weigh 2 oz, and have a variety of tools uncluding a knife.
My large Leatherman Wave is stronger, has more and a larger variety of tools, and Kevin is right on with comments about weight and tools unneeded in the woods. I wouldn't want to carry it when the little multitools do the job so well.

The reason I like the Micra (besides its light weight) are the scissors. Most of my equipment repairs involve zip ties, and the better ones are made of pretty tough nylon. Yes, you can trim the ties with a sharp knife, but the risk of cutting/stabbing the repaired gear (or yourself) is pretty high given the amount of force needed to snip them, particularly if the cut is needed close to the locking mechanism. The Micra has sharp, study scissors and have never let me down.

yes

I am also very fond of good scissors on a multi tool. It too bad that most of the choices out there are with pliers. Scissors multitools are very few. I think I found only 3. Definitely no more than 5 choices. I am not including into the count the flimsy scissors on swiss army knifes. Those don't work well for what I need.

Many of the smaller multitools from companies like Leatherman and Gerber have pliers.

Personally, I like Leatherman's Micra, which doesn't have pliars but scissors. If I needed pliars, I'd carry a small pair along with the Micra. The larger Leatherman are HEAVY with more tools than needed for emergencies.

YMMV.

YMMV.

I've got a small Leatherman like tool but when I'm carrying my full crampons have a separate kit for potential repairs which includes a replacement t-bar and couple pair of nuts/bolts/washers AND a separate wrench that fits them for field repairs. This kit has only been used twice in the last decade, but I am so grateful I had it! I'll now add a pair of pliars in my MicroSpike bag based on what I've been hearing lately.

I wish there were a small multitool with both scissors and pliers.
For me, the pliers version is essential for removing porky quills and equipment repair. I can make do with the knife.
In my view, once I start adding extra tools to the repair kit, might as well lug the large Leatherman along and have everything in one place.
The tiny scissors on the swiss army knives not really suitable for cutting anything in the field except maps and other thin things.
My first aid kit scissors does double duty if the multitool knife isn't up to something.

I carry a set of folding micro-pliers, a small folding knife, and a whistle - all on a short cord. Total weight is 2 oz.

Don't recall who makes the pliers, but they include decent Phillips and slotted screw drivers.

To deal with possible porky problems I add a set of forceps.

Caveat: The pliers may be too small for the microspike repair.

"Caveat: The pliers may be too small for the microspike repair."

Excellent point - the small chains seemed to be hardened metal. I used a fullsized pliers to tighten a couple of links in my shop.

If some company offered a multitool with a adjustable wrench ("crescent wrench") head along with pliers I would be all set.

I recently used a standard leatherman to tighten some linkson stabilicers, I dont think the micro sized devices would have enough leverage.

If some company offered a multitool with a adjustable wrench ("crescent wrench") head along with pliers I would be all set.
I have a 4 inch crescent wrench (Sears Craftsman). The jaws open 1/2 inches and it weighs 1.5 oz. I used to carry it when I used snowshoes with bolted-on crampons.

I recently used a standard leatherman to tighten some linkson stabilicers, I dont think the micro sized devices would have enough leverage.
I also have a 1.9 oz by 2.5 inch long folded, 4 inch long open (in pliers configuration) multitool made by Toolsmith. The pliers are pretty small: 1-3/8 inches from bearing center to tip and about 3/32 inches thick. Don't know if it is strong enough to fix a Microspike link, but I expect that it would be adequate to pull porcupine quills. Also includes four tiny tools: knife blade, screw driver, nail file, and scissors. Don't recall where I got it--I've had it for at least 20 years.

I also carry a 3-section Swiss Army knife (2.9 oz) with scissors (and the all-important corkscrew :) ). (Actually, I have 2 versions--one with the corkscrew, the other with a phillips driver.) I use the scissors primarily for cutting moleskin--haven't needed to cut any zip ties (yet).

My car carries its own multitool...

Doug

Last edited:
That's quite a tool. You could change a car engine with that thing, or at least a replacement catalytic converter!;)

At least you didn’t say “you’re quite a tool” ;)

At 5oz it’s a pretty good compromise between weight and the functions you might need. You can access the knife and pliers with big gloves too.

I actually have 2. I keep one in the car for swiping catalytic converters at THs. :D

Because of my EMS work I have gotten into the habit of carrying a few items on my belt 24/7. My EDC (every day carry) is my Fenix PD30 led light and the other is my Leatherman Juice CS4. 95% of anything I need to do can be fixed or worked on with those two items. I do also carry a Leatherman Wave when hiking most times as well but I believe that the Juice would probably handle what you are looking for it to do and it is much smaller and lighter than the Wave. My Juice get 50 times the amount of use of my Wave.

Leatherman Juice CS4

Fenix PD30

This stuff sits on my belt 24/7 and goes mostly without notice until its needed. And I or the others around need it, it is great to have it right there.

Keith

Last edited:
I am also very fond of good scissors on a multi tool. It too bad that most of the choices out there are with pliers. Scissors multitools are very few. I think I found only 3. Definitely no more than 5 choices. I am not including into the count the flimsy scissors on swiss army knifes. Those don't work well for what I need.

Personally, I'd carry both. I have a Leatherman Wave and while it is a tad heavy, it has scissors, standard and phillips head screwdrivers, a file (sharpening crampons in a pinch?), two knives, and a saw that will certainly do a good job on your finger if you're not careful. Another bonus - a really stout accessory lock so the knife or saw doesn't close on your fingers.

For the scissors, you can't go wrong with these: EMT Shears

Shipping weight is listed at 0.6 ounces and I believe it. Light weight but I've used them to cut thin sheet metal, leather, seatbelts, clothing..... even pennies! (Remember that infomercial?)

Good tool

One of the more valuable tools in my little kit, in addition to a multi-tool, is a small Vice Grip, I think mine is a #2. Just like the big Vice Grips, but small and light, and as I've found out several times, it's just the ticket for crimping the metal dookikies on Sherpa and Tubbs snoshoo lacing, and a bunch of other jobs. Much more squeezing power than a multi-tool. A little hard to find, but for me, a great tool.
With this and a ball peen hammer, you're all set.
John

I just went on the Irwin Tool site out of curiosity and it looks like they don't make the #2 Vice Grip any more. Bummer, it's a great little tool, so I guess I'll take good care of mine.

John -

I think you can find a similar pair of small vice grips, even if Irwin doesn't carry them anymore. For example, Pittsburg is a line of fairly good tools available thru Harbor Freight. These look similar to the ones you described.

Looks like a similar set is located here. (Yup, I love tools)

Last edited: