Zealand Road update

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
Okay, so we've discussed that there will be plowing on Zealand Road to support logging operations this winter. I was just up there this past weekend, and have some more information to offer.

It appears this logging will be occurring about 1/3 mile south of the Sugarloaf Trail parking area / snowmobile corridor 11 crossing. The other landmark is that this is about .1 miles south of the signed handcap-accessible wildlife viewpoint. There's an access driveway there to a big clearcut area, blocked by recently-moved boulders and marked with brand-new bright pink flagging.

There was already evidence of a truck having driven through the 6-8" of snow up to the Bethlehem water works - the tire tracks were very convenient for pulling the sled, but hopefully that will be the last trip up there and the plowing will be limited to that first portion of the road, meaning anyone skiing or pulling a pulk sled will have plenty of good road to work with beyond that point.

I'm pretty confident now that the bit about the intersection of the trail and the haul road is just a copy-and-paste from a prior year, especially given the water works comment. It doesn't appear anything will be happening at the upper trailhead.

Note that as of Sunday Dec 19 it wasn't plowed and there was no equipment on site anywhere yet.

This year, logging operations along the Zealand Road will take place between December 15 and March 15. The Zealand Road gate will be closed but logging trucks will be going in and out and are allowed to do so 7 days a week during operations.

Hikers and skiers are allowed on the Zealand Road but should know that, in support of logging activities, the first half of the road will be plowed and possibly unfavorable for skiing. The second half of the Zealand Road will not be plowed (and therefore will remain skiable) unless the Bethlehem Water Supply needs to be accessed. There is the option of hiking/skiing on the side of the road or on the Spruce Goose Ski Trail, which will be open the entire length, albeit with one skidder crossing. Visitors should also be aware of logging trucks on the road and take precaution when using the road. The Forest Service will be posting signs at both ends of the road for hikers, skiers and snowmobilers to warn of these hazards. In particular, skiers and hikers are asked not to linger near the intersection of the Zealand Trail and Haul Road as loaded trucks will be coming down the steep hill onto the trail.

One other thing. The sign at the northern end of the Spruce Goose XC ski trail appears to be missing. This is about 50' past the Flat Iron XC trail, which is signed and very obvious with a wide entry and arrow signage (it's a 1-way loop). The post is there, but the sign is not.

Zealand Road has been plowed at the Rte 302 end. I have not been up it to confirm or deny my guesses about how far the plowing goes.