New app for Blackberry users

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Any idea (or experience) of how good Blackberries are in the cold?

(Actually, this question might be asked of any GPS-enabled phone that one might use while winter hiking.)

Doug

It's the only camera I own, so I keep mine handy for taking pictures. In the winter, I keep in my chest pocket under all my layers. In truth, I've never used it in the cold cold cold, but under most circumstances it has held up nicely as long as I can keep it warm. Blackberries also have the benefit of having a removable battery.

When I first got it I took it out on a cold day, and it went to sleep and didn't wake up for a good long time in the car until I was able to rewarm it.

It's the only camera I own, so I keep mine handy for taking pictures. In the winter, I keep in my chest pocket under all my layers. In truth, I've never used it in the cold cold cold, but under most circumstances it has held up nicely as long as I can keep it warm. Blackberries also have the benefit of having a removable battery.
This also brings up the question of moisture sensitivity. (In retrospect, I should have mentioned it in my previous post.) As discussed in the thread http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38528, most cell phones aren't very water resistant. If you are not already doing so, I suggest that you put the Blackberry in a ziplock (or other waterproof housing/bag) when you put it under your insulation to prevent condensation.

When I first got it I took it out on a cold day, and it went to sleep and didn't wake up for a good long time in the car until I was able to rewarm it.
Not the most comforting characteristics (cold or water sensitivity) in a device that one might want to rely on for navigation.

FWIW, my cell phone worked properly for ~1.5 hrs at a temp of ~20F at my accident site. (Voice only--it doesn't have a camera or a GPS. I made no attempt to keep it warm--it was in a ziplock in my pack.)

Doug

Last edited:
My blackberry has a sneaky habit of turning itself on in my pack -- I usually take the battery out so I have it for emergencies. I haven't had any issues in cold weather with it -- MichaelJ found that at negative temps the camera doesn't work well.

Thanks for the link, B!

My BlackBerry Pearl camera had a habit of, in the cold temps, even if kept otherwise warm in my jacket, taking a photo that was completely wacked-out, color-wise, to the point of uselessness.