Hale Via 7 Dwarfs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaseri

Reaction score
Anyone been up Hale via 7 Dwarfs/Little River Road lately? We're planning on heading up there tomorrow to hit the summit of Hale via the Fire Wardens trail but we can't seem to get through to anyone at 7 Dwarfs to verify the road has been plowed and is accessible.

Pure speculation, The seven dwarfs road is a town road with a police chief that lives at the end, I would expect that it is plowed.

Kaseri, the Hale via 7 Dwarfs/Little River Road to North Twin trail, to Old Fire Wardens trail is one of the best and shortest routes to that peak, although mostly viewless until you reach the summit. I've done it several times this way in winter using skis on the lower levels approach. The road has always been plowed to the end. When you get back, give us a report on how many blowdowns you encountered (where ... high up or in hardwood areas?) on the Old Fire Wardens section. I haven't been up that route for several years.

I'll report back my finding. Hopefully there have been some skiers up there recently. This is my 1st hike back after my ACL reconstructive surgery so I'm being cautious. We've never hiked the Fire Wardens trail so I'm hoping we can find it. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

This is on my list to do this winter. Anyone interested in a slow and steady hike?

One is not supposed to publically publish directions to "abandoned" trails, ahem.

If taking this route in winter, note that it is a very popular location for backcountry skiing and keep your eyes open especially in the switchback area where skier traffic crosses the trail.

Excellent news & many thanks to Jeremy for doing the hard work!

Wouldnt the proper etiquette to be to ask the poster of the directions to delete his post via PM ? As the policy of not publically showing detailed directions doesnt appear to be written down anywhere but is more of a tradition, I expect that it would be more effective tham having public commentary.

Considering that I spent 3 hours pleasantly thrashing about the north side of the drainage this summer looking for the trail (I deliberately avoided searching out directions with the exception of a very old AMC map), I do like that the tradition of acknowledging its exisitence but letting the hiker find it. Sort of like a "secret" handshake. After encountering 3 groups of folks this fall on the trail one day, including an older couple who were obviously put off by the level of traffic, I expect its gets plenty of traffic without further publicity.

Abandoned or not it's one of my favorite spots to spend some time in.