Black Mountain (Kearsarge) Protected

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
I was happy to join in the NH Forest Society's campaign to raise funds to protect Black Mountain near Kearsarge Mt. (South).

Blizzard of donations' saves Black Mountain
By Karen Langley / Monitor staff
December 31, 2010

The Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests has raised the $1.2 million needed to acquire Black Mountain.

The forest society has been working to conserve the 1,025-acre property next to Mount Kearsarge in Sutton and Warner. Last week, the forest society appealed to the public for the last $14,000 it needed to buy the land. Forest society President Jane Difley said the organization received "a blizzard of donations."

The land contains more than a mile of the Lincoln Trail, used by hikers to summit Mount Kearsarge. The forest society plans to manage the property for hiking, hunting, fishing and snowmobiling.

Black Mountain, a secondary peak of Mount Kearsarge, had been advertised less than two years ago as a good site for a residential subdivision, according to the forest society.

This is great news!

That is such a pretty area
I just can't picture homes & condos there on the mountain
(the area is already busy enough)
it would surely have taken away from the beauty of these trails.

Thank you for all you've done in this fundraising effort!

The SPNHF (of which I am proudly a dues paying member) has been working hard for over 100 years to prtoect lands in this state. This Black Mountain prpoerty will be a fine addition to the Kearsarge area. The Forest Society currently owns 170 Properties for over 50,000 acres, Holds 670 easments (grantee and executory) for over 105,000 acres and 95 properties transferred with deed restrictions totaling over 13,000 acres. All told they have managed to preserve over 169,000 acres and they have showed no signs of slowing down! Kudos to yet one more home grown organization working hard to steward our natural areas!

Brian