Real Wet in the Woods today !

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Spring conditions on New Years Eve!

I did Mt Jackson today for a New Years Eve Hike. The amount of water melting from snow in the trees was really impressive with plenty of more snow in wait to melt. It was a steady rain all day until we got out of the trees on the summit. The trail bed was turning to mush in spots coming down. Crampons were balling almost immediately, microspikes did occasionally. A water proof shell with a hood and a hat with a brim is highly recomended until it all melts or get cold.

seriously. broke out my pack cover as if it was raining, but the rest of me still got wet. wished i'd brought a hat as well.

bryan

You ain't kidding! Did Carrigain yesterday and for most of the hike up I was in my t shirt! By the time we started climbing the summit cone from Signal Ridge we were getting rained on!

Oh well, this is pretty good actually. Once the temps drop back down again we will have a nice solid base. Anyone looking to do those winter bushwhacks get ready for the freeze again! :D

Brian

Dry now!

Spent some time on the South end of the Carters today and things have dried up nicely (in the trees anyway).