Ringing in the New Year on Baxter Mt. (NY)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhihn

Reaction score
In keeping with our long-standing tradition, which we started just last year, we rang in the New Year on a mountaintop.

The festivities actually started at the Ark Trail Inn in Upper Jay, where a gathering of hikers brought and ate way too much delicious food. Fighting off the urge to go to sleep, 14 people drove to mighty Baxter Mt. for the hike. This was our first hike up this mountain. Given that the trail is only a little over a mile (one person remarked that it was actually 1.3) and heavily switchbacked, this trail is hardly a lung buster, which is a good thing for this sort of celebration. The temperature was probably in the high 30’s, and we could actually hear the melting at times. I for one was overdressed for the occasion. The trail was mostly slush, some snow, some ice, and a few small ice flows. Microspikes were worn by almost everyone. There was a moment or two of a light sprinkle, but otherwise it was free of precipitation.

Last year on Mt. Jo we had slightly cooler temps and a longer waiting period on the summit for the New Year, with low thin clouds and full moon. No full moon this year and it was cloudy, but still a nice shot of the lights down in Keene Valley. We actually arrived at the summit a minute or two late. We heard fireworks from somewhere, and a couple of whoops and hollers down below, but nothing that could match a hearty “woo-hoo!" from one in our party! Many photos were taken, and a variety of beverages were consumed (modestly, of course). Edelweiss came up with a new photographic technique that required that I shine my headlamp into each person’s face as she took the picture. Surely this technique was appreciated by everyone. Anyone with eye damage may send her the bill. A couple of photos will follow, and I hope others who took them will post as well.

So…what mountain do we climb next year?

Dick

The photographers in our group were challenged by taking night shots of our New Years hike. Here are a few pics using the "blind them with headlamps and then take the photo" technique. No tripod so no shots of the Keene Valley lights. Maybe next year on another mountain.