Killington Input

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotzman

Reaction score
Ok, I've read through the VT 4000' thread and picked up some info and am leaning towards doing a hike up the Bucklin Trail in a couple of weeks.

Here is my question:
I am wanting to do this as a full moon/sunrise hike. Any mountain specific issues with this? ie groomers, parking or trail restrictions, or anything else I'm not thinking of?
Thanks,
Scotzman

Nope. The Bucklin Trail and the summit spur are on the opposite side of the mountain from the ski area, and the summit lodge is actually below the summit so you wouldn't encounter that unless you went down the other side from the top.

But do go over to the top of the ski trails! It's a very beautiful view, and it's always fun seeing the skiers.

The trail takes you up from the west, alas, so you won't get any direct morning sun--if you have the time and the energy, it's a longer route, but going up the LT is very gentle and a rather nice trail. Sheltered.

Brian

When you get to the shelter, consider this: Turn left (above the shelter but below the tent platforms) on the spur trail. That will bring you out to the top of the ski trails. You might even be able to walk up the new Highway to Heaven. The Bucklin Trail is very nice with a good size parking lot. If you start before dawn you might enjoy the sun rising over the ridge.

Perhaps I should have placed it here, but see the 'VT 5' post for Killington ski area side info.

They keep Wheelerville Rd plowed all the way 'round so you should have no issues reaching the parking lot. Its exactly 3.75 miles in Wheelerville Rd after you turn off Rt 4. To find the turn from Rt 4, look for a bunch of mailboxes at the end of Wheelerville Rd on the right (I'm assuming you will be coming through Rutland).