WMNF Schedule of Proposed Actions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other interesting projects:

Bring electric power into Zealand Road to install electric hook-ups at Zealand Campground, electric hookups for host sites at Sugarloaf I and II Camgrounds, and replace solar power system used to supply water at Sugarloaf I Campground.

The Pemi NW Vegetation Management project says "This project proposes vegetation management and improvements to wildlife habitat, recreation and watershed resources" but there is no document to back it up with any details about what those actions are.

Relocation and redesign of all of the campsites along Tripoli Road to sites along adjacent spur roads to mitigate safety and resource concerns. Removal of hazard trees along Tripoli Road and spur roads to address safety concerns.

Two locations on the lower third of Blueberry Ledge Trail are to be relocated because they concentrate water and are causing soil erosion. Rehabilitation of the unneeded section of trail would occur.

The McCrillis relocation has been discussed here before, I think.

Resolution Shelter, accessible from the Mt Parker Trail and Davis Path, is closed due to its deteriorated condition. The proposal is to dismantle the shelter, remove non-organic components, rehab the site and trail, and provide an alternate tentsite.

And the disturbing one, since I've been on some of these trails:
Decommission sections of up to seven trails that are impractical to maintain or duplicate access (Bog, Wildcat and Rob Brook, East Branch, Gleason,White Ledge and Church Pond). Would be accomplished with trail sign removal and concealing entrances.

Other interesting projects:

And the disturbing one, since I've been on some of these trails:
Decommission sections of up to seven trails that are impractical to maintain or duplicate access (Bog, Wildcat and Rob Brook, East Branch, Gleason,White Ledge and Church Pond). Would be accomplished with trail sign removal and concealing entrances.

With regard to White Ledge, I'm guessing that only the section that leaves from Rte. 16 north of the campground will be closed and that the loop trail that heads out from the campground will remain open. If so, there is still only a limited amount of day-use parking. Overall, I don't like to see trails eliminated from our access but do appreciate when necessary re-routing takes place. I'd love to see some rerouting of the middle section of the trail up S. Moat to improve footing, and of course the northern section of the Kinsman Ridge Trail.

Planting Poison Ivy on the new path between the Bondcliff and Thoreau Falls trails?

Not clear that this project refers to wilderness area. Most likely cutting/thinning or prescribed burning.

I believe Rob Brook and Church Pond trails suffer from flooding problems.

An adjoining landowner has expressed a desire to provide public access
to the Path on an alternate route across his property, and is willing to grant a permanent
easement. In fact, the landowner purchased the property in large part to help resolve the
trail access issue.
I'll bet PS could identify this generous individual

But why not just extend McCrillis all the way to the other McCrillis if you will have to park at that lot anyway?

Want to see actual sections proposed for removal, won't help me much with trail bagging as I've already done all but one.

That part of East Branch Trail parallel to the road is a likely candidate to go, seems that there was a report here that it's no longer maintained and impossible to find.

I'll bet PS could identify this generous individual

But why not just extend McCrillis all the way to the other McCrillis if you will have to park at that lot anyway?

That's what I was wondering, yet though it was thought of the report says they didn't consider it seriously. Perhaps because the section would be longer? Not connect with the historic section?

Relocation and redesign of all of the campsites along Tripoli Road to sites along adjacent spur roads to mitigate safety and resource concerns. Removal of hazard trees along Tripoli Road and spur roads to address safety concerns.

Thank God, Tripoli definitely needs some restructuring.

That's what I was wondering, yet though it was thought of the report says they didn't consider it seriously. Perhaps because the section would be longer? Not connect with the historic section?

Connecting the two trails would have involved a significant stream crossing and some steep terrain, resulting in much more impact than the 1/2 mile connector the FS has decided to build.

Chris - I'm not sure what this means:

"Saco District Trail Decommisioning Project
Decommission sections of up to seven trails that are impractical to maintain or duplicate access (Bog, Wildcat and Rob Brook, East Branch, Gleason,White Ledge and Church Pond). Would be accomplished with trail sign removal and concealing entrances."

Specifically, the mention of White Ledge worries me. The campground road is unplowed. When I asked about winter access at the Saco ranger's information office, the answer was "Not many people use that trail, even in summer. Don't block the campground entry." Do you think they are just considering removing the half mile section that comes in from Rte. 16 just north of the campground?

The PDF maps on the linked project page show exactly what's being proposed.

The Wildcat River / Bog Brook reroute looks like extra mileage to walk, but that's the recommended high water approach anyway, if I recall my WMG correctly (it's 150 miles away at the moment). The East Branch decommissioning also seems like a minor issue, just having a parking area further up the road become the trailhead.

The map shows that the White Ledge decommissioning is just the short segment that comes in north of the campground.

Seems like Gleason would be a loss, but is that Algonquin just alongside it, parallel and not too far away?

Do you think they are just considering removing the half mile section that comes in from Rte. 16 just north of the campground?
Yes

If you follow the link he provided (not available from the SOPA for some reason) what they plan to do is:
Close lower part of Bog Brk and Wildcat River Trails, you are expected to walk in FR233 as mentioned in WMG
Close lower half of East Branch Trail that parallels road
Close E part of Church Pd Loop
Close that part of Rob Brk Trail not used by Nanomocomock
Close Rte.16 link to White Ledge Trail
Close Gleason Trail above Flat Mtn Pd Trail - I'll let PS comment on why this is a good idea