WMNF Schedule of Proposed Actions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooh, here's a new listing: "The Garfield Shelter is in poor condition and needs replacement. We propose to replace it with a similar Adirondack-style shelter on the existing footprint."

Last edited:
Nice to see the decision to NOT decommission the Bog Brook or Wildcat River trail sections.

I see the Waterville Valley ski area wants two new connector trails on Mt Tecumseh, and are also proposing:
Construct ski trails, a glade area, a lift, and snowmaking equipment and relocate one building on Green Peak. All activities are within the Special Use Permit boundary and the ski area's accepted Master Development Plan.

The Resolution Shelter is scheduled for "removal", as opposed to just destroying and leaving the corpse in a nasty pile of trash as was done to our shelter in Perkins Notch. It specifically states "removal of non-organic" parts. Does this mean they will leave a similar pile of debris? Wood is organic.

Will they bring the "non-organic componants", such as toilet seats and pvc plumbing pipes, to the edge of wilderness and leave it in a pile right there, as they did with the Perkin's Notch shelter?

Last edited:
The Resolution Shelter is scheduled for "removal", as opposed to just destroying and leaving the corpse in a nasty pile of trash as was done to our shelter in Perkins Notch. It specifically states "removal of non-organic" parts. Does this mean they will leave a similar pile of debris? Wood is organic.

Will they bring the "non-organic componants", such as toilet seats and pvc plumbing pipes, to the edge of wilderness and leave it in a pile right there, as they did with the Perkin's Notch shelter?

I am guessing "removal" is a generic term referring to destruction. "Removal of non-organic parts" probably means removal from forming a usable structure. My money is on the money running out before *actual* "removal" can ever take place..... just my 2 cents - don't rip me apart!!!!/"remove" my guts anybody for saying it!!!! :eek:

Based on all the other structures "removed" from Wilderness in recent history, it would be a safe bet to look for the remnants, as you said, at the edge of the Wilderness boundary.

Last edited:
It specifically states "removal of non-organic" parts. Does this mean they will leave a similar pile of debris? Wood is organic.
I climbed Stinson Mtn when a contractor was dismantling the fire tower, they were taking a break and let me climb the last remaining stairs. When I came down they unbolted it.

I thought he would burn the wood and haul out the metal by snowmobile, but he said the contract called for removal within XX days and his bid was large enough to include a helicopter to comply.

If the FS truly wants the stuff gone, they just have to indicate that in the bid process and it will happen. Of course that may result in higher bids, hence repair may be more economical :)

Here are two new listings that may be of interest:

19 Mile Brook Trail Reroute
(expected implementation 5/12)
Bridge was destroyed by Tropical Storm Irene. Propose to move crossing 500' upstream to better location, install stepping stones to get across brook, install rock staircase to an old road prism to tie back into trail, and install drainage as needed.

East Side Road Repairs (no link available)
(expected implementation 6/12)
Repair damage from Tropical Storm Irene including realigning and replacing a culvert, short (~100') reroute away from a slump currently impacting the road, and replacing a culvert that washed down stream with a bridge.

Here are two new listings that may be of interest:
East Side Road Repairs (no link available)
(expected implementation 6/12)
Repair damage from Tropical Storm Irene including realigning and replacing a culvert, short (~100') reroute away from a slump currently impacting the road, and replacing a culvert that washed down stream with a bridge.

Thanks for that update!!!! I was hoping for that!!!! YAY!!!!

Here's a picture of the bridge that got washed out on the 19 Mile Brook trail.
P1010462.JPG

Here's the huge culvert that got washed out on the East Side trail. Just incredible the power of water.
IMG_0006.JPG

I like the Greeley Ponds work.
The 19-Mile Brook Trail relocation was cancelled - what's the crossing like where the bridge was washed out?

I like the Greeley Ponds work.
The 19-Mile Brook Trail relocation was cancelled - what's the crossing like where the bridge was washed out?

When I hiked in June, the first half of the bridge is there and planks were across the rocks for the second half.

Picture

Thanks. As it stands that looks like definitely a bridge-worthy crossing. I hope they'll fix it up or even replace the bridge instead of the cancelled huge detour.

I was on that last week - part of our group used the bridge and then downclimbed onto the rocks piled in front, and the others just rock-hopped. The water is very low - am not sure how viable rock-hopping will be once flows return to normal.

I agree with Kevin. We were there last Saturday and the water level was low -- looks like the channel has been re-arranged, too. One of us crossed above the bridge, the other two of us crossed below. That was my first trip up that way in summer for quite a while. It was rockier than I remembered it. Winter snows certainly smooth things out. There has been a lot of good restoration work along the trail and I saw flagging on the trail to Zeta Pass.