Hikes on/near the NY/NJ/PA sections of the AT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmegillon149

Reaction score
Just put in for Vacation in mid-March. Since the second half of the week will be spent largely in Philly for the NCAA wrestling championships, I am thinking at least part of the first half will be spent somewhere on the NY/NJ/PA section of the AT.

Does anyone have any advice regarding:

a. Particularly nice places to visit. I've been to Mt. Minsi on the PA side of the Delaware Water Gap, but that's it.
b. Resources for the area, either online or guidebooks.
c. Thoughts on High Point, NJ? I know its in the general area, so I may go there as well.

I would likely be hiking for about three days, since my wrestling tickets are Thursday-Saturday.

What way do you plan to drive? Are you looking for hiking closer to PA or would consider stopping at places along your drive?

Haven't hiked in the PA/NJ region, but live in the Hudson Valley (the AT is close by). If you pass through this area on your way there, there are some nice hikes (although conditions can vary greatly that time of year). There are several great hikes along the Hudson Highlands - Breakneck Ridge, Bull Hill, Mt. Beacon, Fishkill Ridge, Wilkinson Ridge, etc. These are shorter hikes, but you can string several together to make a nice day of it.

I also really like the Taconics near the NY/MT/CT border if you were coming by that way.

Of course, there are also the Catskills if you were going to be on 87.

What are you looking for in a hike? Are you going to be staying in Phila for the entire week or are you able to stay elsewhere the first few days? In Philadelphia itself, you can hike the Wissahickon Gorge; about 6 miles. You can call Friends of the Wissahickon 215-247-0417 to get a map. There are several smaller state parks in the Philadelphia region that have hiking trails; no mountains but if you just want to get out they are OK. Ridley Creek State Park is just south of Phila in Media PA. After the hike you can always go to the Iron Hill Brewery for a microbrew. A bit west of Phila there is French Creek State Park. While you are there you can visit the Hopewell National Furnace site. i think it was the first iron furnace in the US. Further north of phila, there is Hawk Mountain. Outside of Jim Thorpe there is the Lehigh Gorge State Park with Glen Onoko Falls. Further west there is Ricketts Glen state Park. Lots of waterfalls there so not sure what kind of trail conditions you would have. That would probably be several hours away but its a beuatiful state park. You can hike Mt Tammany on the NJ side of the Delaware Water Gap. There is a loop there and you can add on Sunfish Pond which is suppsoed to be one of the 7 wonders of NJ (LOL). You can get more information on trails in PA from the Keystone Trails Association website.

Go Lehigh! The Engineers are not too bad this year.

Yeah, you've got a good start. Mt Tammany across the delaware river from mt Minsi is cool and also if you have some time, perferrably before the hike, check out the Lakota Wolf Preserve in Columbia, NJ. The trail that goes over Mt Tammany (red blazes) goes right over their preserve and if you howl at the right location, you can get their wolves to howl back!!! It works too...

As far as High Point, you can also consider places like Wawayanda State Park which the AT does go through as a place you can wander more than just on the AT. There are some good XC ski trails and some good MTB trails there but probably not in March..

Buttermilk Falls and the Delaware water gap should have a lot of stuff to explore... Then there are also some parks in NE PA that shouldn't be too far from you, hikes around Jim Thorpe, the Lehigh Valley, Promised Land, etc..

Jay

Thanks so far.

Answers for all of you who added questions:

-I'll actually be staying with in South Jersey during the tournament. I would likely be staying near the hiking, probably backpacking.
-I am driving down from NH to the hiking, then south for the tournament. I am honestly not sure what the best way to drive is, I guess it depends where I am going.
-Having lived in CT, and the Berkshires, I've done Taconic and Catskill stuff, so that is why south of there is a good thought. As long as its south of CT and North of Camden County, its appealing, and somewhat on my way.

Is there any good full or partial loop overnight options that include AT sections? This is solo, unsupported, so that is a factor.

Last edited:
Hey,

If you're staying in south Jersey, the Pine Barrens offer some really interesting hiking options (as perhaps you already know). I believe there are places to backpack along the Batona Trail in Wharton State Forest.

I think the Pine Barrens are a pretty awesome place but I know the flat wilderness doesn't appeal to everyone.

For more mountainous terrain, you really can't go wrong backpacking in Worthington State Forest or Delaware Water Gap NRA. Loop hiking with one car is a little tricky, but I think you could work out a good loop with minimal retracing of steps if you leave either from the Mt Tammany lot on Route 80. Or hike the Buttermilk Falls/Tillman Ravine section near Walpack, and walk a few miles on dirt road.

These are both really nice areas, scenic and remote in a way that is unexpected for NJ.

I'd highly recommend you invest in these maps:

http://www.nynjtc.org/product/kittatinny-trails-map

I would look into some of the Penna state parks if you want to stay north of Camden (you could run around Cooper River Park) and south of the catskills. Depending on how far west in PA you are willing to go, there are some nice trails in central PA. The Black Forest Trail is a nice multi day loop you can do without worrying about a car spot. There is a guidebook and maps you can purchase for this. If you have a warm sunny March day you may need to watch out for rattlesnakes. There is also the Loyalsock Trail, not sure if you could do a loop on this I would need to check my maps. Midstate trail although no loops on this trail. I've hiked part of the batona trail. Its very flat. Some parts though are really remote and you would probably not see anyone else on the trail. If you decide to do the barrens and Batona ( i think its 45-50 miles long), I may be able to help you with a spot. I think there is a website for batona. It stands for BAckTONAture...

I live in NY 5 minutes from AT passing through Wawayanda Park/ Greenwood Lake, and 15 minutes from Bear Mountain (the first section of the AT opened to the public)

I recommend anything between High Point State Park in NJ and Bear Mountain State Park in NY. You will hike through meadows, climb gentle rolling hills, visit the board walk section in Vernon, NJ and climb the 1,000 step section in Bear Mountain State Park. Hiking across the Bear Mountain Bridge is pretty cool too. I know this section of the AT extremely well. I don't think you would be able to do the entire section I recommend in three days so you'll have to decide what you would like to do.

Last edited:
I recommend anything between High Point State Park in NJ and Bear Mountain State Park in NY. You will hike through meadows, climb gentle rolling hills, visit the board walk section in Vernon, NJ and climb the 1,000 step section in Bear Mountain State Park. Hiking across the Bear Mountain Bridge is pretty cool too. I know this section of the AT extremely well. I don't think you would be able to do the entire section I recommend in three days so you'll have to decide what you would like to do.

mntncrvr,
Where in Orange County do you live?.... I'm in Florida

I have my own suggestion. If you're looking to do a few days of backpacking along the AT in NJ, I think you should start in the Delaware Water Gap and hike to the Buttermilk Falls Trail and out, which was apparently an awesome waterfall. I met two hikers on my AT trip who were apparently doing some sort of loop between the AT, the falls and some ponds below, but I can't find a loop trail on my maps now. You would pass Sunfish Pond, the Catfish Fire Tower, and walk along the ridge for a long section that really has some great views for a long way. I think that would take about three days. NJ is really nice-I was suprised how nice. It's NY north of Bear Mountain that was the slog ;)

harriman is gorgeous, 50k acres and hundreds of miles of trails. i hike there almost every day, so you can PM me if you want to join our hiking group and do some fun stuff there. unfortunately march kindof sucks as the snow melts and the bare ground is there and no green yet, but if we still have snow it will be nice. judging from the winter we will have snow till may!! i live in suffern in rockland county which is on the route from ct to nj. as long as u like dogs u r welcome to hike with us