Old subject, same old rant, new information

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcskier

Reaction score
Ashfield, Mass. Avatar: Homage to a friend
When the topic of WMNF users fees comes up my traditional rant was always this: the fee applied only to the drivers of cars since there was no way to collect the fee from someone who hitchhiked, or took public transportation, to the trailhead. That being the case I always wondered why the primary funding source of "trail use fees" didn't get anything that could specifically benefit its particular needs for its payment of the fee. In other words since it wasn't a "trail use fee" at all but rather a "parking fee" what might the Forest Service have done with a portion of the fees that could have specifically benefited users of trails that actually use the parking areas? There always seemed to me to be a simple answer to that question. One of my great fears using WMNF trailheads is the possibility of a break-in. The subject of break-ins is a not infrequent topic on VFTT.

At one point in one of those discussions I was told by someone I respected that there was not much that could have been done that wasn't already being done to fight the problem. My suggestion for video surveillance was dismissed as being impractical.

I would therefore like to share this article that appeared in the Hampshire Gazette today and pose the question "Why not ask for the same thing at trailhead parking lots?" (It's a worthwhile question to ask whether or not the fees continue to be collected)

States 'strike force' at 25: Still chasing enemies of the environment

Last edited:
Big Brother IS Watching

A couple of years ago, I was walking around a parking area somewhere in the Whites. (I won't say where, for obvious reasons). I happen to see a small piece of electronics sticking out of the ground. Being the geek I am, I had to find out what this was. After searching the entire perimeter of the parking lot, I found my answer. The piece sticking out of the ground was a motion detector, wired to a control box a couple of meters away. The control box had a small antenna. This made a wireless connection to a couple of small ( and I do mean small) digital cameras. The only reason I found the cameras was because I had the radio equipment needed to allow me to scan and pinpoint the wireless signal. If I had not had the scanning equipment, I would have never found these cameras. (Never be surprised at whats in the trunk of a Ham Radio Operators vehicle).

So, don't think this technology isn't being used already, because it is.

I'm sure cost has a lot to do with the lack of deployment of this technology. I personally think this technology would not make it through one New Hampshire winter.

Maybe we can petition the NSA to task a geosynchronous satellite to watch over the Whites. The "user fees" could help pay for it. ;) ;) Just a thought.

Live Free and Hike.....Walker

At one point in one of those discussions I was told by someone I respected that there was not much that could have been done that wasn't already being done to fight the problem. My suggestion for video surveillance was dismissed as being impractical.

I would therefore like to share this article that appeared in the Hampshire Gazette today and pose the question "Why not ask for the same thing at trailhead parking lots?" (It's a worthwhile question to ask whether or not the fees continue to be collected)

States 'strike force' at 25: Still chasing enemies of the environment

Great article and suggestion for a possible resolution of this problem. I had my own dealings over the last few days with law enforcement. Once I made it very clear in writing to the Chief that I was no longer "frozen in fear in the victim role" and listed my plan of action in writing, it took all of 40 minutes for the problem to be addressed. So they went from not wanting to get involved because they are way too busy fighting serious crime and corruption to a resolution.
I think hikers have played the victim role way to long. We buy into all the excuses why this cannot be dealt with. Until we become more involved with coming up with ways to catch or deter this sediment of society, nothing will change.
Sending articles to the editors, setting up our own cameras, letting them think we have a brigade hiding in the bushes, NRA stickers, asking the critical question of them that BC Skier posed, whatever it takes. There are lots of bright people on VFTT that could come up with great innovative ideas.
Hikers bring money into the state. We certainly have right to be protected. Who wants to hike off a trail and encounter criminals in the parking lot who might be packing a weapon?
Until we start speaking up and make ourselves heard, nothing will change. We have not given them a reason to change anything.
We report the break-in and then we get the report of how many others have been victimized. It that suppose to make us feel better? Misery loves company? I don't think so.

Last edited:
I find it scary to be monitered/observed with out my knowledge or consent. I'm sure this is to catch bad guys and innocent people have nothing to worry about (I hope) but who set up these rather sophisticated monitors?

Red light intersection cameras are well marked and known about and people still run red lights. So why not put up a sign that says "parking area is electronically monitored." Do they want to catch the bad guys more than discourage vandalism?

I don't do anything wrong either, but I still find it offensive that most anything you do on the internet can be monitored, anywhere you go you are likely to be surveilled... it just seems as though we've given up our privacy by and large for basically nothing. It reminds me of that quote by Martin Niemöller, which ends saying Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up . As a privacy advocate, and former security analyst I think it's an unfortunate reality, but I don't see it changing for the better. There are still ways to communicate securely, but it does require some effort.

I believe that it used to be the law in nh that if you had monitoring equipment set up, you had to post it, but I can only find this statute regarding video surveillance, and this regarding audio, so I don't believe that's the case any more. Although, in the case of the parking lot being monitored, it's legal regardless so long as it's being done by law enforcement.

On a related note, the other day I saw one of these x-ray vans driving around. You know how people have been getting all upset over the full-body scans by the TSA, that are so revealing? They now have vans driving around, doing the same thing with vehicles driving down the highway. The company is based in Mass., and they're already driving around here.

I don't think we have a whole lot to worry about because it does not appear that cameras are coming to trailhead parking areas any time in the near future.
It's very possible that if people start carrying their valuables there will be trail "muggings" instead of car break-ins.
The thieves need to get their loot and they will do whatever it takes.