Perkins Notch or Spruce Brook Shelter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the condition of Perkins Notch Shelter or Spruce Brook would be in the winter? I'm assuming they don't get a lot of use and it would be a bit of a trail breaking session to get to either. I'd hate to go through what would be a long day only to find them unusable.

Thanks...

Spruce Brook Shelter is gone, as is the privy, but there are tent pads. I believe the shelter at Perkins Notch is still standing but not very appealing. Both are lovely areas, though, if you can bring a tent or tarp. The Wild River valley is magical in winter.
-vegematic

Also keep in mind that Wild River Road is not open to vehicular traffic in the winter.

Also keep in mind that Wild River Road is not open to vehicular traffic in the winter.

Thought is to come in to Perkins Rainbow Trail from Carter Dome or Wild River trail from the hut. Either would likely be long days, hence the hope of some sort of predefined shelter.

Last edited:
FYI, Perkins shelter is targeted for termination.

I just returned from a 4 nighter in the wild river wilderness.
walked by the shelter 3 times in the last 5 days.
Today, on my hike out, there was a crew camped on the knoll, getting ready to dismantle it.
This is the last shelter left in the wild river wilderness so, no more...
They plan on packing out all metals. roofing, spikes,ect.
There will be designated tent sites constructed now, as there has been with all other wilderness shelter removals. ( typically 3 )
Some of the timbers will be used in the construction of the tent-sites, some will be used for new bog bridges and the rest will find a home in the woods near by.

Not that I use them but, wilderness shelters are fading fast !
How many of them are left ?
All I can think of is the one in Dry river wilderness off hand.

Only ones I can think of left are Flat Mt. Pond (Sandwich), Mt. Langdon (right on the edge of Presidential), and Rocky Branch 2 (also Presidential)...

Only ones I can think of left are Flat Mt. Pond (Sandwich), Mt. Langdon (right on the edge of Presidential), and Rocky Branch 2 (also Presidential)...

Flat Mountain Pond Shelter is in the Sandwich Range Wilderness? Last time I was there it was a popular mountain biking destination.

WMG page 337 says it is in the Sandwich Range Wilderness..looking at two maps with 1.50 readings glasses show it's in there..

Rocky Branch II has had a hole in the roof on one side since the first time I went three years ago, so it is likely destined to be gone soon. Most of the time I find a tent much more comfortable in the winter.

Stash, sounds like a fun trip! Are you planning a traverse or out and back?

WMG page 337 says it is in the Sandwich Range Wilderness..looking at two maps with 1.50 readings glasses show it's in there..

Thanks, I'll have a look. It could be an error in the map and/or guide. But I can tell you with 100% certainty that the FMP shelter is not in Wilderness. The WODC map has it right ;)

Figures, I wanted to check that map too and could not find it!! No wonder they were riding bikes in there when MichaelJ was there...

But I can tell you with 100% certainty that the FMP shelter is not in Wilderness.
It was deliberately left out to placate certain user groups, no doubt PS even remembers a proposal to allow 4wd access to the pond to those with handicapped tags

But will anybody condemn the inaccurate maps that show differently? Not as long as they are waterproof and tearproof :)

Page 337 actually says the "area" is in Wilderness, which is arguably correct, in that the shelter is surrounded by Wilderness on 3 sides. But the wording definitely needs to be clarified. Good catch.

As for the AMC map, I believe it shows the wilderness boundary correctly, but the shelter symbol is shown on the eastern side of Pond Brook - for clarity I assume - rather than on the west where it's actually located. The WODC map does the same thing.

Flat Mt Pond Trail description has shelter as 70 yards outside the Wilderness boundary..and also, Langdon Shelter is listed as just outside the Wilderness..so not many left!! Thanks to PS and MJ for their knowledge on this matter....