Water Bladder issues in the Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had a problem with upside down bottles but have had frozen screw threads right side up. It was my bladder that leaked too often to be reliable.

I only keep one outsite nalgene 1L bottle in an insulated sleeve. The one(s) inside the pack never ice up, no matter where they are in the pack. I don't use a bladder any more ever (except the one I was born with :eek: )

Sugary drink mixes can help keep water from freezing. At the very least, it just turns to slush instead of freezing solid.

I went on a hike today with a friend who has a bladder hydration system, and she actually made her own hose insulation sleeve from double sided fleece... I think she said, and it was in single digets and didn't freeze on her.

Re: Fleece Cover

Too funny! I made one also. My partner just made fun of me & it didn't seem to help. I even wrapped a couple of those instant heat foot warmers around the tube then put the fleece cover over it (it ran the full length of the tube) but it still got cold and slushy or frozen.
Even tho I initially fill with hot water, you def have to remember to take a sip almost every 10 min when it's cold. Tucking inside your coat seems to help the best but may mess up closing your jacket. Again, my idea of a flap on the back shoulder of your jacket where you could insert the tube and run down the front of your chest would be a good thing. Now that it's cold tho I will carry a thermos w/ hot apple cidar, hot chocolate or my special combo of hot choc/coffee & marshmellows.

double take

I had to do a double take on the thread title...if that was the case then you probably know who to turn to.

Regards,

Ridgewalker