Where Would You Look If you Wanted to Buy Used Hiking Apparel?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
Both my partner & I have some great hiking gear to sell: boots, pants, Arcteryx fleece, etc, Most are lightly used & in like new condition & top of the line brands. I want to list this stuff for sale for folks around here to have the opportunity to buy - If you were to go online to look for stuff, where would you go? I can always do Ebay but there's so much for sale on there now it's nuts. If any of you have places you look regularily please let me know. Once I list the stuff I can tell you where so you can go look at it as I know I can't list stuff on here.

You might try Craigs List. I've not sold anything on it, but I have bought stuff. It doesn't have all the tools/safeguards as eBay, but it's free.

Good ol' eBay is always there, but there's a small fee for selling stuff.

I usually wait until someone else from Guilderland post that they want to sell some gear.:) Is this male, female or both gear? Can I try it out in the Pine Bush, lol! I'm actually going over there for a night hike pretty soon.

bought gear thru e-bay. Craigslist is good but I personally would choose e-bay.

I Understand

Hey Peakbagger - I was trying to be delicate because I know you guys don't want sales stuff going on here. But I did want to know where these guys look for stuff so I could choose where to post items so that they would see it. I hoped that w/not be breaking any rules. I won't post any actual info so not to worry tho. Is it a problem tho, when I do chose a spot to say so? Just something to the effect: i have items for sale on "xyz site" under seller name "shadowcat" ? no details on the gear?

We just don't want VFTT being a place to post links to private gear sales.
Almost everyone here could hold a gear yard sale with links to eBay, Craig'sList, etc.
As I suggested, if you have gear to sell, ask people to contact you thru a PM or email.
PM me if you want to discuss further, otherwise, let people know when they can PM you for info.

Last edited:
For the nonprofessional sellers -- myself included and who seem to be the minority -- I found eBay a tiny bit of a pain to deal with until I figured out how it all works w/PayPal, etc. OTOH, I unloaded a bunch of stuff I didn't think anyone would want and got what I thought were pretty good prices!

I've had good luck with Craigslist. Mostly local, which means you get to meet the seller or buyer in person, although I've talked a couple of people into mailing me stuff I couldn't find locally. Also, I belong to a couple of other outdoor websites that have a classified section. Generally, with them, you have to be a member for a while to use the classifieds.

I've had good luck on eBay as well, buying and selling different things. I even sold a car on eBay a while back. I got a great deal on a down parka on eBay, but a lot of stuff on eBay is suspect from what I hear-counterfeit goods, so that makes selling the real stuff a bit more difficult if you are competing with fakes.

The EMS in Lake Placid has a discount section in the back of returned and clearance gear. Various states of use, and the gear that was returned was usually returned for being the wrong size, or had some defect in the appearance that doesn't affect the use of the item. Everything there is usually marked down quite a bit.

A lot of gear stores and places that rent gear will sell their old rental equipment every few years and buy new stuff. You just have to check often and be lucky enough to find a sale. I got my backcountry skis used from the Adirondack Loj this way. I know people who got their plastic mountaineering boots from The Moutaineer in Keene Valley this way too.

Some gear stores will also run consignment shops, where people drop of used gear to be sold at the store. I think (but am not 100% sure) that the Outdoor Gear Exchange in Burlington (VT) does this. Even if it doesn't, OGX is probably one of the best stores around and is worth stopping in to browse the selection if you ever get a chance.