January 12 storm

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right around a foot of snow in Woodstock, VT, and still coming down hard. We had four inches in two hours early this morning.

About 15 inches in northwestern Rhode Island. Snowshoes needed for those planning an assault on Jerimoth.

Snow looks light in Thornton, but just measured 3 inches, so we may actually bring the snowshoes out :D
That was at 9:30, now (1:30) we are up to 8 inches:

P1030382.JPG

About 18 inches so far in Boxford, MA and still snowing hard. According to Wunderground.com, neighboring Topsfield and Georgetown both had about 17 inches as of 12:30 pm today, which seems consistent with my measurement.

The snow is pretty heavy and wet, too.

Marty

About 9-10 inches in the MWV...but I'm not believing any of this until grouseking and mattl chime in.:D What's up boys...any upslope effect this time? :eek:

Bretton Woods reporting 8" in Crawford Notch as of 1:30pm and still plenty more coming down.
Cannon reporting 6" between 8am & 11am and still coming down.

A very fluffy 6 inches at the Gorham Randolph Line at 2:40 PM and still snowing at a good clip. There has been a distinct band of snow on the weather radar just north east of here, so I think Sunday River and the Mahoosucs may be getting more.

The snow is about as "dry" as it gets around here and I expect with some wind is going to blow around a bit. It will probably settle pretty quickly in a day or two.

Barring some unusual weather, it will make for a good start to the MLK weekend. Bring you snowshoes!

Thursday AM - About 10 to 12 inches in Gorham. It was interesting to see the show sliding down when I cut into it with a snowblower. I expect that ravines are not a good place to be today.

Last edited:
Over a foot in East central RI. Fortunately didn't change to rain here. Plenty heavy as it is. Still coming down pretty hard too. Definitely going to be getting out on the snowshoes for a while after this one!

As of late afternoon, 7 to 9 inches in the Hardwick, VT area, variable hill by hill & hollow by hollow. Sufficient to spend the afternoon doing tele yo-yos on the hill out back.

About 9-10 inches in the MWV...but I'm not believing any of this until grouseking and mattl chime in.:D What's up boys...any upslope effect this time? :eek:

This storm overperformed in the mountains a lot! SNow totals for

... Coos County...
4 WSW Randolph 17.0 404 PM 1/12 cocorahs
Randolph 13.5 334 PM 1/12
Pinkham Notch 11.5 334 PM 1/12
Whitefield 10.0 502 PM 1/12
Twin Mountain 10.0 353 PM 1/12
Gorham 9.0 353 PM 1/12
6 SSW Piermont 8.8 454 PM 1/12
2 NNE Randolph 8.3 1240 PM 1/12
Lancaster 6.0 308 PM 1/12
Colebrook 3.0 300 PM 1/12

.. Carroll County...
1 W Wolfeboro 20.5 601 PM 1/12
5 E Sandwich 15.0 445 PM 1/12
4 S Moultonborough 15.0 250 PM 1/12 Black Cat Island
2 ESE Albany 14.0 346 PM 1/12
3 SSW Eaton 13.5 219 PM 1/12 swe 1.26in
Crawford Notch 11.5 354 PM 1/12
2 N Jackson 10.0 530 PM 1/12
Chatham 9.2 345 PM 1/12
1 SSE Jackson 9.0 427 PM 1/12
North Conway 8.5 1236 PM 1/12 heavy snow
2 ESE Madison 8.0 1050 am 1/12

Not many totals for Grafton county, but lots of places at least had 10 inches...in Leb we had a foot.

And yes, the upslope should be rolling tonight and tomorrow. Light accumulations like usual :)

18.5 inches on the back deck in Meredith

white out conditions from 10-2...cairn to cairn visibility at best in moultonboro

as per the norm roads are plowed ...restaurants are open..life is good

Last edited:
haha, sorry, I was shoveling. Like Grouse said, Whites way over performed, with over 18 in places. The upslope looks OK, but not amazing tomorrow. Maybe another 2-4 in places. Some snow showers this weekend, but a more sig storm may be brewing for next week.

about 18" here it was fairly wet and heavy for 18" of snow I managed to get stuck twice plowing today once in a flat parking lot so yeah it was fairly heavy.

im going to snow shoe across my field tomorrow just to say I used them. Last year we didn't get enough snow where I lived and I didn't have time to go north

I had 4" of snow before switching over to sleet and freezing rain. And school was off for two days here in the Augusta, GA area. That is three snow events (anytime any amount of snow sticks) in one calendar year. The news is saying it is the first time since record keeping.

haha, sorry, I was shoveling. Like Grouse said, Whites way over performed, with over 18 in places.

Good! With a holiday weekend coming up, the local economies that rely on snow sports really needed this boost.