What is happening with MSR snowshoes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiking with Kat

Reaction score
Last year I bought a pair of Denali Evo's (I like them a lot). This year one of the straps developed a stress fracture and broke. I asked at REI if they had any replacements and they told me "no". MSR has apparently pulled all the replacement straps off the market. I have found some else where on the web, but does anyone know what is going on here? Seems very odd to not fully support a product that you were selling only a year ago.

Did you try MSR directly? My Denali Ascents were wearing thin around the toe on the inside of the binding. MSR sent me a pair of new bindings, no charge. They asked only that I probably should add some duct tape to the area to prevent any further wear. Instead, I took my Dremel and rounded the plastic snoeshoe edge over so the binding was not brushing against a sharp edge with every step.

Here is a photo I sent them:

Tim

Did you try MSR directly? My Denali Ascents were wearing thin around the toe on the inside of the binding. MSR sent me a pair of new bindings, no charge. They asked only that I probably should add some duct tape to the area to prevent any further wear. Instead, I took my Dremel and rounded the plastic snoeshoe edge over so the binding was not brushing against a sharp edge with every step.

Here is a photo I sent them:

Tim

Good job. Maybe you should send their response and your fix back to them for review.

Let me start by saying that I've never owned MSR snowshoes and I know that many people out here love them. I do agree that the underside traction for the icy conditions we have around here can't be beat! However the straps on the MSR snowshoes were always a concern to me and to be honest, I thought was odd given that other snowshoes were easier to put on. So when it was time to purchase a new pair of snowshoes I opted for the Tubbs Flex ALP. The underside traction is similar but the binding is easier to put on. And they are functioning well either on icy terrain or breaking trail.

MSRs

Last year around the first of February I actually broke one of my snowshoes while doing Pierce, and contacted MSR directly..they told me to send the snowshoes and I did, and in about 2 weeks received a brand new pair..I bought the snowshoes in N Conway at EMS and staff gave me the phone number to MSR...can't seem to find it now but I m sure google would have it!!If you might have contacted them directly you might have received good service like I feel I got...Cascade Designs would be the company I contacted (just googled MSRs)!!

Last edited:
Just sent in a binding to be replaced. One quick call and they give you an RMA number.

They still list the repair kit which includes straps, so you might as about that. Might be worth calling EMS as well to see if they have spare straps in stock.

Here is the URL of the page with the phone number and address for repairs.

http://cascadedesigns.com/Service/Warranty-and-Repair

Does Cascade cover the shipping costs on warranty repairs? Or are you stuck with the costs of shipping them back?

The metal supports that connect the bindings, crampons, and showshoes all together broke on my MSR Evo Ascents. Sent them back a few weeks ago, still waiting to hear back on repairs/replacements... So far, the process has been pretty painless, just called them, got a return authorization number, and mailed them in. They said it will take 2-3 weeks once they get the snowhoes to fix/replace them, usually faster. Took about a week for the snowshoes to get to them in the mail, using the cheapest shipping method.

I wonder if MSR should open up a NE region R&D group, as I expect VFTT members are a big chunk of their warantee business :).

I can see the motto " Trashing snowshoes so you dont have to"

Let me start by saying that I've never owned MSR snowshoes and I know that many people out here love them. I do agree that the underside traction for the icy conditions we have around here can't be beat! However the straps on the MSR snowshoes were always a concern to me and to be honest, I thought was odd given that other snowshoes were easier to put on. So when it was time to purchase a new pair of snowshoes I opted for the Tubbs Flex ALP. The underside traction is similar but the binding is easier to put on. And they are functioning well either on icy terrain or breaking trail.

Ditto.

So far the Tubbs Flex ALP are living up to my expectations. But still need a full winter season with them to see how they hold up.

I wonder if MSR should open up a NE region R&D group, as I expect VFTT members are a big chunk of their warantee business :).

I can see the motto " Trashing snowshoes so you dont have to"

I bet that conditions on trails in the winter are a bit different here than out west...

I bet that conditions on trails in the winter are a bit different here than out west...

Definitely the case, starting with ... comparatively speaking, there are few trails in the west.

Also - 1) snow in the west tends to be measured in feet, not inches 2) snow is typically much drier, 3) it's not as cold as the east, so snow consolidates more rapidly.

I also have had good experiences with MSR. I am curious, which strap broke and where did it break? The most forward strap always breaks on Evo's. See this thread.

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27229

Yes it was one of the front straps, it broke around the the post that stays attached. Looked like the rubber didn't stand up well to being frozen.

I was going to buy one of the repair kits that contains straps, but one of the reviews on the site I was looking at said the kits no longer contained the strap and the REI guy confirmed this.

I'm heading off the the mountains this week, but will try to call them next week to get more details.

Both of my crampons on my Ascents broke last year after three years of heavy abuse by me. MSR sent me a new pair within two weeks, no questions ask. As much as I love my Ascents, I do wish the crampons were thicker.

Both of my crampons on my Ascents broke last year after three years of heavy abuse by me. MSR sent me a new pair within two weeks, no questions ask. As much as I love my Ascents, I do wish the crampons were thicker.

It take only two weeks to get it back your new bindings?
When did you send it? this year?
I am waiting the end of winter to send mine. I send photo of my bindings and base plates, who are broken (split), and they told me to send the two and they will replace it. I wait the end of winter, because I still can use it and I dont have another pair of snowshoes.

Msr good business

I bought one of the first pair of Ascents and have used them heavily.
I am 6'6" and 240.

If there are problems (Lost heel lifter straps etc)
MSR always made good.
SO
They get an A in my book and
an A+ for being so far out in front of the other snow shoe makers that it took them 6 years to catch up with MSR (If they even have)

A little like Detroit and the Toyota Prius

Reactions: arm
It take only two weeks to get it back your new bindings?
When did you send it? this year?
I am waiting the end of winter to send mine. I send photo of my bindings and base plates, who are broken (split), and they told me to send the two and they will replace it. I wait the end of winter, because I still can use it and I dont have another pair of snowshoes.

I sent back both shoes, not just the bindings. I sent it to the address on their web page. I did call first to make certain they understood the problem. I was very pleased with their service. I 'm no longer as abusive with them as I once was. ;)