The Value of a Patch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BF

Reaction score
After a hike today, I stopped by Ragged Mountain Equipment in Intervale to poke around. I checked out the used gear in the consignment section downstairs.

In the consignment section, an interesting item caught my attention. It was an old Dana Design Bomb Pack that obviously had a lot of miles on it. But more curiously than the pack itself was the half dozen patches of accomplishment attached to the outside Shove-It pocket, which included an AT patch with a 2000 miler rocker, an AT 2000 miler patch, a Vermont Long Trail patch, and an AMC 4k footer patch.

This pack had a lot of history and represented some hard-earned accolades. I found it odd that someone would want to let it go, especially with those patches on it. It was sad to see it there.

What could have made someone work so hard and then give it up? If this pack were mine, even though I never used it again, I don’t think I could ever depart with it. It would mean so much to me and hold so many fond and cherished memories. Of course, something bad could have happened to the pack's owner. I wonder who it belonged to.

After a hike today, I stopped by Ragged Mountain Equipment in Intervale to poke around. I checked out the used gear in the consignment section downstairs.

In the consignment section, an interesting item caught my attention. It was an old Dana Design Bomb Pack that obviously had a lot of miles on it. But more curiously than the pack itself was the half dozen patches of accomplishment attached to the outside Shove-It pocket, which included an AT patch with a 2000 miler rocker, an AT 2000 miler patch, a Vermont Long Trail patch, and an AMC 4k footer patch.

This pack had a lot of history and represented some hard-earned accolades. I found it odd that someone would want to let it go, especially with those patches on it. It was sad to see it there.

What could have made someone work so hard and then give it up? If this pack were mine, even though I never used it again, I don’t think I could ever depart with it. It would mean so much to me and hold so many fond and cherished memories. Of course, something bad could have happened to the pack's owner. I wonder who it belonged to.

This is so sad. I feel the same.

Interesing comment. I also have a Dana Design Bomb Pack in which the BOTH zippers in the upper compartment broke during my hike yesterday. They were about to fail so it was not a great surprise. I thought about getting this fixed but it's propably near the cost of another pack. Dana Design is out of business. I looked at the patches I have on my pack and thought I'd just buy new ones. The 100 highest patch is one of them. Then I thought I should just pull them off and put them on my new pack. My point is that I'm not that all sentimental to my pack or the patches on them...it's the memories that I have, friends made and pictures taken that matter most.

You could ask the owners of RM who put the pack on consignment. They should have it on record. There could be an interesting history here.

There could be any reason. I mean, even more morbid ones like the owner died and their family, not really knowing what the pack and patches meant to their lost loved one, just decided to sell it. Or it could be some poor person who fell on hard times and really really needs money. Maybe it is as simple as the owner just does not care any more (I know it sounds odd, and surely for someone who would display patches like that so proudly on their pack, but some people are taken to fits of whim and loose interest in things they were previously so interested in.)

Brian

am±338276 said:
You could ask the owners of RM who put the pack on consignment. They should have it on record. There could be an interesting history here.

Well, I for one hope RM, or any other consignment seller, won't release owner's names. I think not only would it be unethical, but unprofitable as a potential purchaser could contact the owner directly, hoping for a better deal on the item.

I'd say let the whole issue drop. People are entitled to privacy. Whatever reasons why that pack ended up on a consignment rack is not up to others to pass judgment.

There could be any number of sad reasons why it ended up where it did. Exposing the owner could cause even more sadness.

Last edited:
The Inner Fire

There could be any reason. I mean, even more morbid ones like the owner died and their family, not really knowing what the pack and patches meant to their lost loved one, just decided to sell it... Brian

Sadly, this explanation has my vote. Someone who spent this much time in the woods would not just "loose interest". He/she might have lost the ability to physically walk the trail, but the inner fire would still burn, creating a value for these patches far beyond a monetary value anyone could assign.

In the last year and a half, I have "cleaned out" two houses owned by family members. A lot of the "stuff" saved must have had strong memories associated with them, but sadly was lost to the people cleaning out the homes. Most items are saved not for the physical value, but for the memories these items have.

Just ask anyone who have saved a second grade report card. ;)

If someone buys this pack, I hope they have the decency to remove the patches before using it. If only out of respect of the person who "earned" them.

LifeFreeandHike........Walker

I understand the sentiment in this thread, but basically disagree with the underlying premise. In the final analysis, patches are just more "stuff." Perhaps meaningful at first as a statement of what one has accomplished but ultimately irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think anyone climbs/hikes obsessively for material rewards or reminders ... the motivation goes far, far deeper. Maybe the owner just didn't really care so much about the patches ... or maybe he had six more of the same variety in a drawer at home. In any event, regardless of where the pack with patches wound up, it doesn't change one iota the experiences the owner had in the hills along the way.

Well, I for one hope RM, or any other consignment seller, won't release owner's names. I think not only would it be unethical, but unprofitable as a potential purchaser could contact the owner directly, hoping for a better deal on the item.

I'd say let the whole issue drop. People are entitled to privacy. Whatever reasons why that pack ended up on a consignment rack is not up to others to pass judgment.

There could be any number of sad reasons why it ended up where it did. Exposing the owner could cause even more sadness.

This is true, but I don't think there is anything ethically wrong if RM were to forward an interested party's contact information to the owner, and then the owner could make the choice as to whether to contact the interested person or not.

RM Dana Design Pack

Hmm
Maybe they need the money to buy a new Spectra or lightweight Kevlar pack
or a fab Wild Things eVent shell.

Those knees that carried that heavy bag must be pretty weight sensitive by now.
(I have great Dana Heavyweight I thinks it's an Astroplane or Terraplane)

They probably feel the patch is a symbol not the journey.
Climb Onward

Last edited:
I saw the same pack a few months ago and thought the same thing, I called over my sister and showed her the patches and commemted that i could never let them go. I have a bunch of patches on my pack. I never planned on putting that many on, but one fron CA, a couple nice ones fron CO, NH, I bought them because they where from places I loved to be, I get much joy out of seeing them over and over. Im not much for recognition, I keep no records of my climbs, but my pack is now like a history of my favorite times and places for me. I once left it on a ridge to dash for a 14er summit as I was knackered and fading, upon returning to where i dropped it, I couldnt find it, I was stressed to no end, im talking 20 yrs to get those patches, when I found it, it was simply glorious, Ive never left it since. Whatever the reason for the packs end, I say let it be, hopefully the pack and its owner will relish in its experiences and in the end thats the most important thing. If I die tommorow, my pack will never mean to someone else what it means to me.

Why give a damn? They are just patches. Many don't register or send for patches because they don't do it for those types of reasons, the person may have just come to that way of thinking over time and got rid of it the same way you get rid of old clothes. Then again I may just like to think to myself that they are selling it to get some extra cash for their next adventure.

Patches? We don't need no steenking patches!

Well, when I die, I just assume my kids will take my patch-laden pack, collect all my hiking stuff and have it on display in airtight chambers around the monument they'll build in my memory....doesn't that go without saying ?