Hamlin and Baxter Peaks from Chimney Pond, 1/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
Full Route: - North Basin Trail, Hamlin Ridge Trail, Northwest Basin Trail, Saddle Trail. Same route on descent.

Date of Hike: Friday 1/14

Trail Conditions: deep powder down low, wind-scoured and firm higher up. We broke out North Basin Trail and Hamlin Ridge Trail (up to treeline) the prior day.

Special Equipment Required: I started in snowshoes, switched to microspikes, then back to snowshoes as we descended Hamlin Ridge (fresh snow had fallen while we were out). I did carry crampons but they were not called for in my opinion.

Comments: thanks to Rick and Sarah Q, Matt H, rangers Rob, Greg and Brendan at Chimney Pond, and of course to the late Percival B, and last but not least, big thanks to Andy W for organizing and leading. This was an outstanding winter trip. We missed the company of Hannah H who was ill and wisely opted to sit this one out.

Photo gallery - please note this is a gallery of our entire trip. The first photo from our actual summit day is here, if you wish to cut to the chase.