Family campgrounds in ADK high peak area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajtiv

Reaction score
For all of you Adirondack experts can someone recommend a
good campgroud with:

good views
good shaded private sites
a lake or river (Canoe rentals a plus)
Clean bathrooms and a shower house is also a must

I usually stay at public campgrounds based on past experiences but not necessary

Planning next year already because Reserve America's 9 month schedule.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Al

I (and my family) almost ALWAYS basecamp at "Whispering Pines Campground". Other than the river aspect, it fits every criteria you mention. The lack-of-a waterway is "far over surpased" by the central location of the campground. It's on Rt. 73 just down from the Mt VanHo bobsled entrance. Less than 1/2 hour drive from every major trailhead outside Elk Lake and Upper works.

The owners are super and we LOVE this place. they have been MORE THEN KIND to me and my family. It was our "unofficial 46er basecamp". for our 1st round.

Last edited:
Family campground

I second Tim's recommendation of Whispering Pines. Gathering 5.0 was held there.

What about ADK's property at Heart Lake? It's got all you need plus location. You get some discount if you're an ADK member.

All of the State DEC operated campgrounds have great facilities. Check them out at http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/do/camping/index.html#adirondack

teejay

Rollins Pond

Check out Rollins Pond Fish Creek campgrounds. They are state parks near Saranac Lake with Beach front camping. Canoe rentals, boating, fishing, swimming. I have been going there for over 15 years. I love it!!! You should make reservations at least 6 months a head of time.

Enjoy!!!!

I stayed at the Sharp Bridge Campground (RT 9 north of Scroon Lake) and it was nice. Huge sites, new bathrooms and showers and there is a creek that runs thru the property although I do know if you can canoe on it. The sites are a bit open. I had no problem getting a reservation over labor day. I have also stayed at the private North Pole campground on rte 86 in Wilmington. They have have some more secluded sites and the bathrooms and showers although a bit "tight" were always clean. Some of the sites have access to mountain biking trails and sites on one side of the road are close to water. There is also a camp store. They do have a website if you want more info.

Thanks all
Reserved a long weekend at Fish Creek and probably will reserve another at Rollins Pond.
Whispering Pines sounds nice but I will wait a couple more years when my son hits 7 years or so. He needs a little more than a beautiful campground to keep him busy. He is not in love with hiking as much as my daughter is, and I want him to grow into it slowly.
I plan on hiking with them for the next 50 years, so I will be patient and let him learn on his own with my positive energy and sister's enthusiasm to guide him. :D
thanks again
Al

I am sure next spring I will post a question for good day hikes for my kids and I to go out on to get familiar wtih the Adirondacks. Mavs I am sure you have a few suggestions.

ajtiv said:
Thanks all
Reserved a long weekend at Fish Creek and probably will reserve another at Rollins Pond.
Whispering Pines sounds nice but I will wait a couple more years when my son hits 7 years or so. He needs a little more than a beautiful campground to keep him busy. He is not in love with hiking as much as my daughter is, and I want him to grow into it slowly.
I plan on hiking with them for the next 50 years, so I will be patient and let him learn on his own with my positive energy and sister's enthusiasm to guide him. :D
thanks again
Al

I am sure next spring I will post a question for good day hikes for my kids and I to go out on to get familiar wtih the Adirondacks. Mavs I am sure you have a few suggestions.

You will not regret Fish Creek or Rollins. I like Rollins better because the sites are more private than Fish Creek. Also Fish Creel is nice if you have a motor boat where you can zip right into Saranac Lake.

Enjoy