Puffy Sweater

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
I'm going camping this weekend and I've always looked at the thinner jackets with insulation they're call sweaters made to be worn as a midlayer. So I bought one. It bridges the gap between the big puffy coat and a down vest. I like the insulation over my arms that I don't get with the vest, it's much warmer than fleece and fits under my outerlayer without much bulk. :cool:

Yup looks a little chilli. Just got an e-mail out to my friends suggestion a plan two or a new date, +2 to -17 is a little cold for me to camp in on purpose. I don't want to test the new sweater that bad.

I'm going camping this weekend and I've always looked at the thinner jackets with insulation they're call sweaters made to be worn as a midlayer. So I bought one. It bridges the gap between the big puffy coat and a down vest. I like the insulation over my arms that I don't get with the vest, it's much warmer than fleece and fits under my outerlayer without much bulk. :cool:

FWIW, I have a Marmot down sweater that sounds alot like this - definitely looks like a "junior" version of a real down coat. However, I've never been able to hike (ascend) in it without overheating. When I stop at a summit or need a longer than usual stop, it's perfect to put on. For camping in the winter with temps around zero or below, I might want a puffier one...but this is a nice change from the heavy fleece in terms of heat retention.

Quited Down Alternative

I got one from EMS; it has a full zip, pockets & pit zips which I didn't find on others. I got it on sale for a bit under $100 - more then I would ever normally spend as I'm one of those folks who likes to buy great gear at rock bottom prices. (and boy can I find them!) Anyway I love it. I feel the down alternative is much better, it doesn't get as damp & if it does it doesn't pack down like down will. these pack nicely so you can store w/o taking up much space and for the weight it packs a pretty good punch for warmth. I wish they'd make some leggings out of the same stuff! I believe Patagonia came out w/ these first & they are probably the highest price. If you look for one, many many companies now have them so you don't have to spend so much money. Don't fall for the brand name & pay more than you need to. Just look over the jacket / shirt well. Make sure the seams are sewn well, the zippers are steardy; look for the features you like: does it have pit zips, lined pockets, a hood? Make sure there is a lot of quilting that is what holds the fill in place & keeps you warm. I bet you can get them now for $40 & still have one that performs just as good as a $200 one.
fyi: I listed some women's stuff on Craig's List. the title is: Arcteryx & Hiking / MTB apparel or something like that if anyone is interested pm me.

The EMS in Hadley has their version on sale for $50. regular $99, no pit zips or hood, a basic down sweater. If you wait you can find them for $40, I always stock up when they are on sale...

We bailed out on the camping trip. Just wasn't worth the risk. I think we could have handled it but the margin for error was too thin.

The sweater worked great while walking the dog at O. Actually it was to warm to be move in. It would be better for sitting around and resting. Good price too!

I have the EMS "sweater" and love it. Not that colors matter that much, but I wish they had picked a different color than teal in the women's model. It is warm though light weight and compresses well so it is in my pack except for the hottest of weather if doing a short hike. For really cold temps I have the Mountain Hardwear down parker. I have a pair of primaloft pants made by Eddie Bauer, I think, which are a little bulky but are toasty.

Last edited:
But I originally got that because it was on the required gear list for my climbs out west! :)
Oh, I don't doubt that.

I was pulling your leg because of your somewhat phonetic spelling of "parka" - you spelled it the way it's pronounced by many New Englanders, and the closer one gets to Baaahston, the more pronounced the use of ending "r's" becomes ...:)

Oh, I don't doubt that.

I was pulling your leg because of your somewhat phonetic spelling of "parka" - you spelled it the way it's pronounced by many New Englanders, and the closer one gets to Baaahston, the more pronounced the use of ending "r's" becomes ...:)

Oh, now I get it! How funny. :D We drop some "r's" and add others. Good thing we don't add and drop friends for the same "dialectical" reason.