e-readers on the trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegematic

Reaction score
I am seriously considering purchasing an ebook reader for backpacking trips, particularly those lasting more than a week. I really like to read at night before sleeping and an ereader seems like a lightweight way to bring an assortment of books along.

So fess up! Who is carrying a Kindle or other ereader in their packs? How is it working out for you?
-vegematic

I am seriously considering purchasing an ebook reader for backpacking trips, particularly those lasting more than a week. I really like to read at night before sleeping and an ereader seems like a lightweight way to bring an assortment of books along.

So fess up! Who is carrying a Kindle or other ereader in their packs? How is it working out for you?
-vegematic
I wouldn't want to carry my Kindle (3rd gen). It's pretty heavy, even tho it doesn't look that heavy. The cover adds weight, too, but you need it for protection. Although it's cool to have all those books available (plus those old trail guides from Google :)), I wouldn't want to risk damage. But, you can go on the internet with it!!!! :eek:

My wife has the black & white version of the Nook from Barnes and Noble and while I haven't taken it on a hike, I would not hesitate to do so. It's light weight, seems pretty rugged (just protect the screen) and the battery seems to last a long time. It's easy to read in various light conditions (even bright sunlight!) and they sell a little clip-on LED light for it for reading in the dark. This is also very tiny and runs on a watch battery. The wife's only complaint with this is it's almost TOO bright. Weight is listed at 11.6 ounces, and the website says you can read for up to 10 days with the wireless transmitter turned off. This I would believe. We leave the Wi-Fi on all of the time and can get at least 4 days on a charge, reading 1-2 hours per day.

If you get the 3g+WiFi version you could potentially get material and get on the web while on the trail if you can find a signal. Connectivity isn't a necessity as it holds a ton of books in memory but it would be handy if you want to read the daily newspaper. The web interface on the b&w Nook is a little clunky, mostly due to the small portion of touch-screen at the bottom of the unit. I'm sure the color Nook is better as it has a full touch-screen from top to bottom.

I hope this helps some.

I have a Palm T2 that I have been reading with for years. It is pretty small and weighs less than my camera. I doubt that it is as versatile as a kindle but it works fine for me. If I turn off all the bells and whistles and use it only for reading at bedtime I can make it last for the entire week of Scout camp.
The screen is a little fragile (and expensive) so I stuff it in a pair of wool socks in my pack.
Bob

Last edited:
I took my 2nd-generation Kindle on a 5-day backpack. With the 'net connection off the battery can easily last over 2 weeks. It was nice to have reading available in the evenings, though only a couple of nights did I even have the energy to do any. I kept it in a zip-loc and it was fine there. I would do it again.

I don't own an e-reader (I am a bit too nostalgic for my own good and just can't seem to get away from paper :D) but I do have a 160gb iPod I take with me on overnights. It has enough memory to hold all my music collection as well as movies thanks to an program that converts DVD's to the iPod's format (though trying to watch movies on a 2 inch screen does lack a certain dramatic quality ;) ) So I say go for it....can't hurt!

Brian

I have a Palm T2 that I have been reading with for years.
I have an old Sony Clie that I use for reading (and not much else). That might be a better fit than a Kindle for trail use, if you can deal with the small screen. My girlfriend has some good ebook apps on her iPad touch, too. Of course in those cases you can be more limited if you want to use various DRM'd books; I usually am reading something from Gutenberg or Baen books without DRM.

I haven't hauled the Clie in my pack; about the only reading-heavy trip I did was multi-day car-camping peak bagging in Vermont shortly after the last Harry Potter came out.

i have a kindle, take it w/ me whenever i travel, extended backpack trips included. i enjoy having reading material, so an ereader is how i can bring along all my reading material. i use the neoprene book cover and then keep that in a ziplock. i pack it in w/ my clothes and it's safe. no problem, and really not that heavy.

dottie

I've been guilty of taking an ipad on an overnighter at least once. It was as solo trip, so I had no one to annoy with it. It's a little on the heavy side, but it was nice to be able to read a bit and also write about my journey. The following morning, it was also nice to be able to have some tunes playing while I picked up and put away my campsite. I'll probably do it again at some point...

I purchased a Sony Pocket Reader and just received it. The first thing I did when I unpacked it was, of course, weigh it. It came in at 151 grams. Then I weighed a couple of average-size paperbacks that we had laying around and they came in between 120 and 170 grams. Supposedly it can go two weeks on a charge. I don't think I'll try it for winter backpacking though.

(plus those old trail guides from Google )
Would you tell me more about this?

-vegematic

Would you tell me more about this?

-vegematic

Hi! I search on Google Books:

http://www.google.com/search?tbs=bks:1,bkv:f,bkt:b&tbo=p&q=white+mountain+guide&num=100

After the search, I click on whatever I want and save as a .pdf file on my computer. Then, I copy them to my Kindle. It's fun to read through them on the couch, etc., without having to be at my computer to view (which you can do as well!). Depending on your search criteria, you can find other white mountain histories, the first 15 or so volumes of Appalachia, etc. They are all pre-1922, so the copyrights have expired.

Not sure how it works on the Sony, but I would think it might be similar????

I'll admit it. I have been carrying my iphone with the kindle reader app and use it when camping. Its way better than carrying a book.

What is worse is my wife bought me an Ipad for Christmas, didn't really think I would like it. I do, and I use it all the time now. The Iphone worked out so well that I am seriously considering taking the Ipad on camping trips if I feel it has enough advantages to warrant that. If I can protect it well enough and I think the trade-off for weight is worth it over the Iphone.

Oh, I should mention that as far as it being better than a book. That one advantage a book does have over the Iphone. I can rip a book in half if someone else wants to read and didn't bring anything. Can't and won't do that with the Iphone. :D

Keith

Last edited:
Killed a Kindle

I killed my Kindle after having it with me in a tent during torrential downpours when the whole meadow filled with water during the night. I did not really soak it but the combined moisture of the night did the trick. Get a dry bag for it.

I killed my Kindle after having it with me in a tent during torrential downpours when the whole meadow filled with water during the night. I did not really soak it but the combined moisture of the night did the trick. Get a dry bag for it.

I carry several gallon and quart zip locks. Not 100% waterproof protection but they are one of the greatest inventions ever. Unless you are going underwater for long periods they offer great protection for very little cost. Use two, nested, if you really think that you are in for a soaking. I have carried many electronics often in some pretty severe downpours and have very good luck using these techniques.

And yes, I would use this technique to protect my Iphone and Ipad.

YMMV
Keith

I carry several gallon and quart zip locks. Not 100% waterproof protection but they are one of the greatest inventions ever. Unless you are going underwater for long periods they offer great protection for very little cost. Use two, nested, if you really think that you are in for a soaking. I have carried many electronics often in some pretty severe downpours and have very good luck using these techniques.
A paper towel or some silica gel (desiccant) in the ziplock bag might help to absorb any leakage.

Doug

A paper towel or some silica gel (desiccant) in the ziplock bag might help to absorb any leakage.

Doug

Great point! Plenty of stuff comes with a silica packet, now I have a good reason not to toss it.
-vegematic