New YakTrax

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Report from the guy at EMS in Portland is that they're being returned as quickly as they're purchased. Anti-balling plate breaks.

I feel that the previous YakTrax were a suitable product for walking to the mailbox. Looks like the new ones are suitable for those with longer driveways.;)

Microspikes are hard to beat and the customer service is up there with the best.

I did see a few damaged versions of these at the clearance section of EMS.

I looked at the various microspike competitors in December and ended up with the Hillsound Trail Crampons - so far so good. I seemed to have a somewhat easier time on ice than the people with microspikes - though that might have been that they were new and the points were at their best.

I'm on my second winter with my Hillsounds and I really like them. They are holding up real well and they are a bit more aggressive than the Microspikes. I will say though that my Microspikes have been indestructible. I've worn the points down quite a bit and I now use them in the spring and fall when I will be on a lot of rock in order to spare my Hillsounds, but I have bashed those Microspikes on all sorts of rock and I can't break them.

I've heard the same thing, that they are being returned as quickly as they leave the shelf due to breakage.

I have a set of Yak Trax and do use them for walking my dogs on slippery surfaces in my condo complex...and I do hike with them on packed snow trails only. I don't think I would trust them on ice at all. I basically agree with the "trip to the mailbox comment"!

I'm definitely in the market for Microspikes. I'm hoping I can get them at the end of the season for a lower cost, but something tells me they probably don't go down in price and are saved for the next year. It seems $59 is the going rate everywhere I look. Does anyone know where I can get a better deal? Kittery Trading Post is a bit lower, but then there is tax...so it is a wash.

Here's a discussion we had on the MWObs Forum about this same topic. There's a lot of good info in it if you're interested in checking it out!

http://www.mountwashington.org/foru...ce-Comparison-MicroSpikes-Stabilicers-Yaktrax

Karl

$49 at Kittery Trading Post with free shipping on orders over $50. If you live in NH you won't pay sales tax. Maybe just find something else you need that is on sale as well.

Hillsounds, are on sale at Alpenglow Adventure currently

https://www.alpenglowgear.com/gear/...=i3ntqsf5pg1jagagjsko0irnf4&keyword=hillsound

I have used them for several winter hike this year and find them bettter than microspikes. No durability issues to report. With shipping they were around $53

I have used both (I have the knock-off Hillsounds), and the additional spikes and longer spike length of the Hillsound design provided a more secure grip for me. $45 is a good deal.

Joe, did you not like the Hillsounds?