Least climbed 13-ers list

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a pretty interesting list.

Maybe someday someone can put together the similar concept for various NE lists. I've often wondered about the average finishing order for various lists, too, or slightly different, the mountain that is the most common "last mountain" for a list.

That's a pretty interesting list.

Maybe someday someone can put together the similar concept for various NE lists. I've often wondered about the average finishing order for various lists, too, or slightly different, the mountain that is the most common "last mountain" for a list.
The 46Rs publish these kinds of stats from time to time. For instance, very few people have made Emmons their first peak, and similarly Donaldson is rarely the last. The reason for this is that the herd path to these 2 runs first over Donaldson, then ends at Emmons, a long way from nowhere! :D

If you really want, you can examine the list of members and their first and last peaks.

I didn’t see the lists of most- and least-climbed, but I found a Web page that mentioned the three hardest 13ers. I was surprised that Sunlight Spire wasn’t among them.

SunlightSpire05.jpg

Once data is in a database it can be sorted and categorized in a seemingly infinite number of interesting ways. The "least climbed CO 13-ers" would easily become a self-vitiating list given the roughly 600 CO 13er peaks and the relatively small sample size of ListsofJohn members climbing those peaks and recording their climbs in the database. It would definitely be a very dynamic list.

I didn’t see the lists of most- and least-climbed, but I found a Web page that mentioned the three hardest 13ers. I was surprised that Sunlight Spire wasn’t among them.

Sunlight Spire is an "unofficial" 13er, so maybe that's why it didn't make the list. Also, other than the last 100 yards or so, it isn't difficult, at least as compared to some other really remote and daunting 13ers.
[Note: I haven't done the Spire, so this is second-hand knowledge/speculation.]

Isn't it an unranked 14er now? Thank goodness for the col rule....

13,995' (as far as I know, that hasn't changed)

And yeah, it would be the toughest 14er if it counted as such. I'm not sure what the prominence is b/t it and Sunlight, but I think it's well below the "official" requirement.

Sunlight itself is apparently pretty difficult. In his ‘‘Halfway to Heaven,’’ Mark Obmascik admits to not climbing to Sunlight’s tippy-top point. Neither did the guy he was with, who was an experienced Yosemite climber. They blew off the last thirty feet.

Now, if it were up to me, I’d say they didn’t actually climb it. It’s one thing to get a pass if you can’t figure out where the precise highest point is, but when you can see where it is and it’s right there, but you’re too afraid to get to it, well —

But it’s not up to me.

13,995' (as far as I know, that hasn't changed)

And yeah, it would be the toughest 14er if it counted as such. I'm not sure what the prominence is b/t it and Sunlight, but I think it's well below the "official" requirement.

Of course you could just go to ListsofJohn:
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=67

GR rates it 5.10 and says it is probably 14k with datum change

Note that the least-climbed 13-ers are not necessarily difficult, some are walk-ups in out-of-the-way locations. In CO as elsewhere, there are folks who deliberately seek out tougher climbs - Lizard Head is not on the least-climbed list for example.