Limit of People on Summit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Green Mountain Club asks that groups limit their size to 10 for any backpacking trips. I can't remember the ADK's group size limit.
Here's the regulation from the NYSDEC web site for camping (generally 9 or less overnight, 8 or less in some areas). For day use (15 or less). The fine for separate but affiliated groups camping closer than 1 mile from each other is $100 for each subgroup. I have seen those fines imposed, including on scout groups for each separate "group leader". You can forget about getting a permit, they just aren't given anymore, which is good and in keeping with LNT.

§190.13 Wilderness Areas in the Adirondack Park

c. Group size restrictions.

1. In the Eastern High Peaks Zone or Western High Peaks Zone, no person shall

i. be part of a day use group containing sixteen or more people;

ii. on or after July 1, 2001, camp as part of a group including nine or more people; or

iii. be a member of an affiliated day use or camping group which exceeds the numerical limitations established in items (i) or (ii) above, unless such group has separated into smaller groups which do not exceed such limitations and such smaller groups maintain a separation distance from each other of at least one mile at all times.

§190.13 Wilderness Areas in the Adirondack Park Camping Group Sizes in Wilderness, Primitive and Canoe Areas:
DEC regulation requires that groups of ten or more persons camping on state land obtain a permit from a forest ranger. DEC policy prohibits issuing group camping permits to groups wanting to camp on forest preserve lands in the Adirondacks that are classified as wilderness, primitive or canoe area. This policy was developed to protect natural resources, the primeval character of the area and exceptional wilderness experiences for all recreationists, and follows Leave No Trace practices. Except for the eastern High Peaks Wilderness, Pharaoh Lake Wilderness and the William C. Whitney Wilderness, where the group size is 8, camping groups in wilderness, primitive and canoe area lands are limited to 9 people or less.

Large groups can contact the USFS and get permission. Things may have changed since 1998 and 1999 when my wife led a school group but all I had to do was tell them about our group, it's size and where we were headed. (overnights at huts) Dave M was part of one group as we had some cancelations.

We tried to split the group up some, faster hikers made lunches for the slower hikers and cleaned up, we caught them at one point & then stayed behind & showed them how to feed Gray Jays. (Still the only way to get 20 middle school kids to be still an quiet)

Suspect the BSA do the same thing. In the past, if you went through the proper channels & tried to split the group up some, there wasn't a problem with the Rangers

Seemed to be more worried about guided trips. We were 16 I think on the Moriah trip, of course Gary. Sherpa & I quickly became a group of three in the back. The rest of the group become small groups based on speed also. (Michael J. was on that trip too)

It's bad leaders or inconsiderate hikers who don't let faster groups go through. I've had it happen with just four people before in the ADK's. (on occasion elsewhere too but one ADK trip was the worse)

Last edited: