Dog-friendly campsites in the Whites..?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
The girls and I plan on taking a lot of backpacking trips this summer and we'd like to include our dog.

Are most of the campsites dog-friendly? Max (our border terrier) would be on a leash and I would make sure he wasn't a nusiance to other hikers/campers.

Years ago we used to take our first lab everywhere - lean-tos in the High Peaks, the Long Trail shelters, and tenting all over NH, and we never had a problem.

If you are tenting I can't imagine why anyone would object. As far as lean-tos go, I don't know if people have gotten less tolerant, but Clio was always welcomed wherever we showed up.

Great, thanks. We've a full summer planned with a lot of national highpointing and local peakbagging, and we want to include Max as much as we can. Good to know we can use the tent platforms in the Whites.

My dog(s) have always been welcome at tent platforms in the Whites, and in shelters and tentsites on the Long Trail in Vermont and Maine/Mass/NY/CT AT, in the Provincial Parks of Nova Scotia, the Adirondacks and three of Colorado's Wilderness Areas. I carry a rubber coated ten foot cable tie out with snap closures on both ends for tethering to guard against my line getting chewed or destroyed by campground mice, etc.

We have found the sites in the WMNF to be dog friendly, note that in the more popular sites where a caretaker is present, some tent platforms are not private. One example is Garfield Tentsite, where several campers from separate groups may be fit together on one platform by the caretaker as the tentsite fills up. During the busy season along the AT corridor, we try to defer to thru hikers and for this reason carry a tent and use backcountry/stealth sites.

As always, checking ahead with the agency managing the land is the best way to assure dog friendliness. I also find its helpful to include contacts for local veterinarians when planning extended backpacks with canines.

Last edited:
note that in the more popular sites where a caretaker is present, some tent platforms are not private. One example is Garfield Tentsite, where several campers from separate groups may be fit together on one platform by the caretaker as the tentsite fills up.

This is helpful information, thanks. Garfield Tentsite is one of our destinations.